Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting essential optimizer application installed on my macbook pro

Essential Optimizer application periodically comes up on my MacBook Pro - running Catalina. It closes Safari - and then reopens it and shows in the extension as Essential Optimizer. I have moved it to trash - rebooted computer and it still comes back periodically. What is it and how to I get rid of it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 12:59 PM

IT is NOT a Safari extension.

This is the third post in a week I've seen on this thing. From another member who posted a EtreCheck report, it is adware, likely picked up form and unscrupulous download hosting site.

Go for the MalwareBytes solution.

2 replies

Jul 5, 2020 12:05 PM in response to mhkmatt

Hello mhkmatt and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you have a question about what appears to be a Safari extension called Essential Optimizer.

Get extensions to customize Safari on Mac - Apple Support

In general, most apps and extensions that purport to optimize parts of the Mac experience are widely regarded as malware. Especially if you are trying to delete it and it won't go away, this may be the case. There is a tool that Apple actually advises use of for malware.

Malwarebytes for Mac — Mac Antivirus Replacement | Malwarebytes

You'll also find tips for avoiding malware here:

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

Cheers.

I keep getting essential optimizer application installed on my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.