Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air sudden black screen when on battery

Hi,

I have a MacBook Air 13", early 2015, macOS Mojave 10.14.6. Battery still supports 1 hour+ operation, but I have a Service Battery warning in the battery menu.

I am now getting random black screens when I work on battery without power cable, even if the battery is still mostly full, for example at 70%. This is not a screen saver, this might happen while I'm actively working on the machine. When I have a black screen, the machine is not powered down, and the Caps Lock light still reacts to changing it. I have not been able to get rid of the black screen other than reboot by holding the power button. Hooking up external display didn't help. Machine is still booting without power cable.

Is this a known issue, is there a fix other than servicing the battery? I'm hesitant to spend money on the battery if the black screen issue is a larger, unrelated problem.

Thank you!

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 5:50 PM

Service Battery means what it says. You can continue to use your Mac, but it simply won't run properly until you get it replaced.

Start here: https://getsupport.apple.com

Similar questions

1 reply

MacBook Air sudden black screen when on battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.