You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Typing error in safari

When I'm trying to type the letters "ip" in the beginning of a search Safari does not allow me to enter any letters after that point and proceeds to delete my search however this does not occur if the letters "ip" are within a sentence.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 2:04 AM

8 replies

Jul 3, 2020 12:40 PM in response to WJGuy

I contacted Apple, and they gave me this to try (resetting SMC). It applies if you have the T2 chip, which I do, but it didn't work, though it may work for others: I'll follow up with them more later.

"Okay go ahead and do this for me : Notebook computers with the T2 chip

Before resetting the SMC, try these steps:

• Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button.

• Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

If the issue persists, follow these steps to reset the SMC:

• Shut down your Mac.

• On your built-in keyboard, press and hold all of the following keys. Your Mac might turn on.

...Control  on the left side of your keyboard

...Option (Alt)  on the left side of your keyboard

...Shift  on the right side of your keyboard

• Keep holding all three keys for 7 seconds, then press and hold the power button as well. If your Mac is on, it will turn off as you hold the keys.

• Keep holding all four keys for another 7 seconds, then release them.

• Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac."

Jul 3, 2020 9:04 AM in response to usama2000

I found the problem. Just discovered it today when I tried to search for "iPhone" and ended up getting "hone". It ONLY happens in Safari, and related to the Settings>Search>Preload Top Hit in the background" selection. For me, I guess my top hit was "ipm-provider.ff.avast.com".

Regardless, I'll be submitting a ticket, but for now just deselect as above and it should work.

MMM

Typing error in safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.