Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to data from Shared iCloud Storage when user leaves?

My family is currently paying for separate iCloud storage plans, and would save quite a few dollars if we move to shared iCloud storage. My question is, if later on my kids leave our Apple family to start their own (they get married, want to separate their accounts, etc...), will they lose the data shared in the storage? There are photos and backups that I'm sure no one would want to lose, but it's not clear if we can safely separate their data if they leave the Apple family.

I did some searching and couldn't find anything to this, and without setting up fake accounts and testing it out, I have no way of knowing. Has anyone done this, or something similar, that could offer advice? I'm sure this situation could come up if kids grow out of an Apple family, or a divorce happens, or similar.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 9:28 AM

They would still keep their data, but would have to individually subscribe for storage if they have more than 5GB of data. Or transfer data to a computer for safe keeping in order to get their iCloud usage down to 5GB or less.

4 replies

Jul 2, 2020 5:38 AM in response to zinacef

Hi zinacef,

I understand that – moving to shared means everyone shares the space but has their own "room." My question is regarding the opposite scenario though. When the kids move out, do they get to keep their stuff, or is it left behind? If they leave the Apple family, will they be able to bring their photos/backups/documents with them?

What happens to data from Shared iCloud Storage when user leaves?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.