Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing Question - What happens if I purchase iCloud storage for myself?

I am part of an Apple Family. My sister is the owner.

What happens if I purchase iCloud storage? Can I set it up, so only I can access the storage? Or will it become available to everyone in the family?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 8:44 AM

big_smile wrote:

I notice you say "elect to share the storage plan". Does this mean when I buy storage for myself, I will have the option not to share it, and it won't be automatically shared to my family group? If so, that would be perfect.

Thanks for any clarification you can offer, and also thanks for all your help so far!

Yes. You don't have to share your iCloud+ plan. However, you can't use both the Family Sharing and personal plans- just one.

Share iCloud+ with your family - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2022 8:44 AM in response to big_smile

big_smile wrote:

I notice you say "elect to share the storage plan". Does this mean when I buy storage for myself, I will have the option not to share it, and it won't be automatically shared to my family group? If so, that would be perfect.

Thanks for any clarification you can offer, and also thanks for all your help so far!

Yes. You don't have to share your iCloud+ plan. However, you can't use both the Family Sharing and personal plans- just one.

Share iCloud+ with your family - Apple Support

Sep 2, 2022 8:19 AM in response to big_smile

Even if you are sharing a family storage plan, only you can access your data. See the following from Share iCloud+ with your family - Apple Support

When you share an iCloud+ subscription, everyone in the family group uses their own account. That way your photos, documents, and other information stay private, even though you're sharing access to the service. You simply share the features and space available in iCloud+ with your family members, so you only have one plan to manage.

If you quit sharing the family plan and get your own plan, no one else would be able to use any of the storage in that plan.

Family Sharing Question - What happens if I purchase iCloud storage for myself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.