Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fixing a messed up backup

I got a new iphone and the icloud backup didn’t save old messages even though it was turned on in the icloud backup settings. I have finally had the time to look into this but now I want to keep the new conversations on my current phone while adding the previously lost backups that are still on my old phone. I have access to both phones and there are two separate backups for them in icloud. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 4:11 PM

If you weren't using messages in iCloud - Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support, then all of your messages will be there in iCloud. If you weren't using that feature, then all of your messages would've been restored from the backup, and not partially restored as you stated in your post.

2 replies

Jul 2, 2020 10:42 AM in response to zinacef

I used the new feature where you just have both phones on and link them to move everything over, not sure if that matters? Also, slight correction, it actually backed up only the messages that were loaded on my iphone 7 so as soon as you go up enough to load more my new phone has nothing.

I definitely had icloud imessage on I’ve had it on for years, but is there any way to merge the conversations onto my new phone without deleting new message?

Fixing a messed up backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.