Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Support website says my MacBook Pro Serial Number is not valid

I'm trying to get support for my MacBook Pro. I follow the necessary steps to speak to tech support. I can choose for which of my registered devices I need support; my MacBook Pro is proposed, so I click on it; websites ays it is not a valid serial number!

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 5:29 AM

6 replies

Jul 2, 2020 6:39 AM in response to Varry007

Varry007 wrote:

I'm trying to get support for my MacBook Pro. I follow the necessary steps to speak to tech support. I can choose for which of my registered devices I need support; my MacBook Pro is proposed, so I click on it; websites ays it is not a valid serial number!

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/7caff584-eae3-45fb-a040-c88797384beb

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Jul 2, 2020 7:42 AM in response to Varry007

Not sure what's left to do except call Apple and walk through the problem with them. https://support.apple.com/nl-nl/HT201232. You mentioned the MacBook Pro is only about 1 year old, was it ever serviced? I've heard of motherboard repairs sometimes causing serial number problems, but absent that I'm at a loss to explain it. Sounds like you need to speak with Apple Support.

-- JDee

Jul 2, 2020 6:45 AM in response to JDee

the funny part is; as I am logged in on the apple platform; it's the apple websites who asks me if I want support for my MacBook Pro (see the screenshot I posted). All I do is I click on the MacBook pro picture, the website automatically fills in the SN; and returns the SN is wrong.

I also tried inserting the SN manually: same problem.

The Macbook is just 1 yr old.

The website says Apple SN do not contain "0"'s; yet mine does:

Jul 2, 2020 6:21 AM in response to Varry007

Hi. You should make extra sure (though you likely have already) that the serial number is entered correctly. It's easy to mistake a zero for the letter o or the number 1 for the small letter l, etc.

Click on the Apple Menu in the top Left of your MP's screen, and select "About This Mac." Then double-click on the Serial Number, and copy it by right clicking or by pressing "Command + C" and then paste it into the form. (This ensures no errors are made in entering the serial number.)

If it lists a real-looking serial number try typing that into the website to verify:

http://checkcoverage.apple.com. (Sounds like you already did this, but....)

If you still need help, contact Apple Support. (If you had repairs done recently whether the motherboard was replaced, that might possibly explain it, too.)

Good luck!

--JDee

Jul 2, 2020 6:57 AM in response to Varry007

That "O' is NOT the letter O. It is a zero 0. Can you see the visual difference? Instead of typing manually try copying and pasting the serial number. Double click the serial number to select it, then copy and paste it into the Apple Support Page.

As others have pointed out the overwhelming reason people have problems is that they mistake a 0 for an O and vice versa.

Support website says my MacBook Pro Serial Number is not valid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.