Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folder Actions (Now a Restricted Service?)

Hi everyone,

I have a folder action that I use to print PDF files. Since updating to Mojave, the action (created with Automator) no longer works. When going into the Folder Action settings, I now get a prompt that says 'Finder wants to use the restricted service "Folder actions setup..."' with the options to run service or cancel. Even when I click Run Service, the script still doesn't work.

I saw another post that suggested adding several apps to the Privacy & Security System Preference which I have done but that hasn't resolved the issue.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Jon :-)

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 7:20 AM

In my own experience with Mojave, once you agree to allow Folder Action service to run, that should be the end of it, and dropping files on the designated folder should just work, as it did for me recently. I had to do nothing else in System Preferences, or change the drop folder, or Folder Action to get it to work properly.

If yours is an older Automator compiled Folder Action that was saved prior to the Mojave upgrade, then you might consider reopening that FA with Automator, and saving it again. It is located in /Users/yourname/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2020 7:20 AM in response to cmhjon

In my own experience with Mojave, once you agree to allow Folder Action service to run, that should be the end of it, and dropping files on the designated folder should just work, as it did for me recently. I had to do nothing else in System Preferences, or change the drop folder, or Folder Action to get it to work properly.

If yours is an older Automator compiled Folder Action that was saved prior to the Mojave upgrade, then you might consider reopening that FA with Automator, and saving it again. It is located in /Users/yourname/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions.

Folder Actions (Now a Restricted Service?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.