Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Not Backing Up - Cannot Connect to Back-up Disk

I've been backing up to AirPort Extreme for a couple of years... I do not want to say there was a problem with the last OS Update - but Time Machine has not been able to back-up since then.

Started off with a OSStatus error 5, found out that Time Machine was requesting Password - so ran Time Machine and selected back-up disk then entered Password.

Time Machine notified me that it was connecting - and then after a couple of minutes notified that it could not connect and provided an OSStatus error 2. ~?~ why can't it just tell me what the problem is ?

Ran Time Machine again and received OSStatus error 89. Haven't got a clue! Nothing has changed with the system setup, as I said at the start - only thing that has changed was OS update pushed by Apple. This should not be so hard to fix...

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 9:29 AM

Sorry about the confusing descriptions of components. Yes AirPort Extreme is set up as a wifi extender... and I have a stand-alone Airport Time Capsule that Time Machine accesses for back-ups. The TC is connected through Cat6 cable in my wired system.

I pulled an act of desperation in the end - and power cycled the TC - waited for it to restart, and then went through my original steps of selecting back-up disk, waiting for connection... and... the back-up started.

i spent too much time trying to decipher the OSStatus error codes. As you said, they are not overly helpful. I confirmed dates, and ran the last OS update on June 6... and back-ups stopped on June 7. I ignored messages for a couple of weeks since there was nothing pressing on my system to back-up. Started trying to figure things out a couple of days ago... got frustrated with the lack of progress and support.

thanks for your reply... it helped to eliminate some issues that would have been a lot more troublesome to fix.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2020 9:29 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Sorry about the confusing descriptions of components. Yes AirPort Extreme is set up as a wifi extender... and I have a stand-alone Airport Time Capsule that Time Machine accesses for back-ups. The TC is connected through Cat6 cable in my wired system.

I pulled an act of desperation in the end - and power cycled the TC - waited for it to restart, and then went through my original steps of selecting back-up disk, waiting for connection... and... the back-up started.

i spent too much time trying to decipher the OSStatus error codes. As you said, they are not overly helpful. I confirmed dates, and ran the last OS update on June 6... and back-ups stopped on June 7. I ignored messages for a couple of weeks since there was nothing pressing on my system to back-up. Started trying to figure things out a couple of days ago... got frustrated with the lack of progress and support.

thanks for your reply... it helped to eliminate some issues that would have been a lot more troublesome to fix.

Jul 2, 2020 8:54 AM in response to SpecwriterKeith

Let's start with getting a bit more information about your setup:

• Are you using Time Machine (TM) to back up to an AirPort Extreme base station with an attached USB drive or to a Time Capsule's (TC) internal drive? Your post appears to indicate the former.
  • Which exact version is your base station and which version of firmware is it running?
  • Which exact version of macOS is your Mac running for these TM backups?
  • Is your base station the only wireless router in your current network configuration? If not, what are the makes & models of your other networking hardware and how are they all configured to work together?
  • Does your base station's name included special characters or spaces?
  • Do you have, as a minimum, IPv6 Link-local only mode enabled on your base station and Mac?
  • Finally, what have you tried, so far yourself, to resolve this?

Jul 2, 2020 9:17 AM in response to SpecwriterKeith

We'll assume that you have already tried basic troubleshooting steps like powering off the AirPort and restarting it again and restarting your Mac, correct?

I've been backing up to AirPort Extreme for a couple of years..

An AirPort Extreme does not have an internal hard drive, so you have either connected a USB drive to the AirPort Extreme or you meant to say that you have a Time Capsule, which is a WiFi router with a built in hard drive designed to store backups made using the Time Machine application.

I do not want to say there was a problem with the last OS Update - but Time Machine has not been able to back-up since then.

Although the release notes for OS 10.15.5 make no mention of anything to do with Time Machine, there have been numerous reports from users who are having difficultly with backups since the last operating system update. It's hard to know how many users are affected by this though, since Apple Support tells me that they are unaware of any issues regarding Time Machine in the latest 10.15.5 Catalina update.

Unfortunately the error code messages are worthless, since Apple does not provide any documentation that would tell us what the error code might really mean.

Nine times out of ten, the "fix" is to erase the Time Capsule drive and start over with a new backup because the current backup file has become corrupted, so not sure whether you want to try a few things that probably won't work before you erase the Time Capsule (or delete the backup of the Mac in question if there are also other Macs backing up.)

If you do want to try a few things.......

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Select Verify Backups

If the process will run, it might take anywhere from 10-60 minutes or more for the check to complete. Let things run until you see that the process has completed or until you see another error message that the process could not be completed

If you want to check on the progress of the procedure once it has begun, hold down the option key again and click on the Time Machine "clock" icon again

Since the backup will not run, the next check will probably be of no value, but it's worth a try.

Hold down the Shift key on your Mac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon and select Back Up with Consistency Scan

Let things run until the process completes or until you see another error message.

Report on your results, so we'll have an idea of where to go next. There are more checks, but they are unfortunately not likely to help.

Time Machine Not Backing Up - Cannot Connect to Back-up Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.