Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing of apps

I'm a bit confused about the wording here. If I purchase apps BEFORE I setup Family Sharing, will those apps also be shared with the Family? For example if I purchase Dark Sky right now before setting up Family Share will that app be shared when Family Sharing is setup later?

Making purchases is easy. So is setting limits.

With purchase sharing, all new App Store, music, movie, TV, and book purchases made by your family are billed to the organizer’s account. But the organizer can still call the shots. Just turn on Ask to Buy for children in the family. When a child initiates a purchase, an alert is sent to the organizer, who can review the download and approve or decline it right from the organizer’s device. This applies to both purchases and free downloads.

Thanks

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 9:06 AM

Hey AZBigdogs,

We see that you have some questions about Family Sharing and we'd like to help!

Here's a helpful article with more information about Family Sharing. If you check out the section that says 'All your family's purchases, on all your family's devices.' it'll explain that the 'apps purchased by family members are immediately available to everyone in else in the group'. This includes new purchases as well.

So to answer your question, all the purchased apps including the apps that were purchased before setting up Family Sharing, will be available to everyone else in the group.

You can also choose not to share your purchases with a specific adult family member and more information about that can be found here: Family purchases and payments

We hope this helps!

Warm regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2020 9:06 AM in response to AZBigdogs

Hey AZBigdogs,

We see that you have some questions about Family Sharing and we'd like to help!

Here's a helpful article with more information about Family Sharing. If you check out the section that says 'All your family's purchases, on all your family's devices.' it'll explain that the 'apps purchased by family members are immediately available to everyone in else in the group'. This includes new purchases as well.

So to answer your question, all the purchased apps including the apps that were purchased before setting up Family Sharing, will be available to everyone else in the group.

You can also choose not to share your purchases with a specific adult family member and more information about that can be found here: Family purchases and payments

We hope this helps!

Warm regards.

Jul 7, 2020 10:28 PM in response to chris_g1

Thanks... It was the "all new" app store purchases part that I was not sure of.

I clicked on the link for Family purchase and payment and it looks like you can turn it off to prevent someone from purchasing something and having it billed to you. If you do that, do they still keep previous purchases paid for by the organizer while shared purchases was in effect?

Jul 8, 2020 11:36 AM in response to AZBigdogs

Hey AZBigdogs,

Thanks for getting back to us. That's an excellent question!

As long as you don't prevent your shared purchases with a specific member in the Family Sharing plan to, you can have it billed to the organizer and still be able to share all the purchases within the group.

Does that help to answer your question?

Best regards.

Family Sharing of apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.