Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have a virus

I have an application that keeps popping up even after I have moved to trash & deleted it. Do I have a virus? See photo ... the app is 11.8MB and with icon that is a magnifying glass... if this is a virus / malware, how do I get rid of it?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 5:21 PM

Agree. Looks like you have adware. Apple does not provide much help in figuring out how to rid your computer of adware—all they offer is for you to install Catalina.

The senior contributors here and Apple phone support people are recommending Malwarebytes for safe adware removal. It was developed by one of our most trusted ASC contributors and was developed for Mac, not ported from Windows.

Get it only from the developers' site: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

The free version should remove any adware you have. The paid version provides real-time scanning for when you use a dicey download hosting sites that give you adware as a free "gift."

As an incidental finding, I see you have something called Mac Cleanup Pro. Remove it. Macs are like cats—they clean themselves. That third-party dreck only interferes with the excellent self-maintenance routines you paid Apple to build into macOSX. Anything that claims to clean your Mac is a scam because developers know that macOS has self-cleaning functions going back 20 years. All those cleaner apps do is slow and destabilize your Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2020 5:21 PM in response to katrinka289

Agree. Looks like you have adware. Apple does not provide much help in figuring out how to rid your computer of adware—all they offer is for you to install Catalina.

The senior contributors here and Apple phone support people are recommending Malwarebytes for safe adware removal. It was developed by one of our most trusted ASC contributors and was developed for Mac, not ported from Windows.

Get it only from the developers' site: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

The free version should remove any adware you have. The paid version provides real-time scanning for when you use a dicey download hosting sites that give you adware as a free "gift."

As an incidental finding, I see you have something called Mac Cleanup Pro. Remove it. Macs are like cats—they clean themselves. That third-party dreck only interferes with the excellent self-maintenance routines you paid Apple to build into macOSX. Anything that claims to clean your Mac is a scam because developers know that macOS has self-cleaning functions going back 20 years. All those cleaner apps do is slow and destabilize your Mac.

Jul 2, 2020 11:25 AM in response to katrinka289

katrinka289 Said:

"Do I have a virus I have an application that keeps popping up even after I have moved to trash & deleted it. Do I have a virus? See photo ... the app is 11.8MB and with icon that is a magnifying glass... if this is a virus / malware, how do I get rid of it?"

-------

Contact the Developer for an Uninstaller:

They all have different names, yet the same icon - so it's probably a bunch of applications, but are not consolidated to one application.

Why the same icon, I would not know - it is probably that of the developer.

If you want to rid of them all, contact the developer - maybe there is one Uninstall App that you need to run.

And NO. It is not a virus, as there are no viruses for Mac.

Do I have a virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.