Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uverse gateway update disconnected internet from apple airport network

Last night the internet was disoneected when the uverse gateway was updated. The internet is com,ing into the house at the gateway but when I plug in the ethernet into the airport base station it disconnects the internet altogether. What do I do?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 11:21 AM

5 replies

Jul 4, 2020 6:26 AM in response to gibson176

Gateway to Airport Time Capsule ethernet to WAN set tup to create network then Ethernet from Airport Time Capsule LAN to AirPort Extreme Base Station (2) WAN port set up to extend network- This is the connection that seems to be causing trouble.

That would be because AirPort 2 is not set up correctly. "Extend a wireless network" is a setting that would be used only if AirPort 2 were connecting to the Time Capsule using a wireless connection. But......you are using Ethernet to connect AirPort 2 to the Time Capsule.

As it stands now, the incorrect setting on AirPort 2 is creating a huge feedback loop that effectively crashes the network.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable at the WAN port of AirPort 2 but leave the other end of the cable connected to the LAN port on the Time Capsule

Power up AirPort 2 if it is not already on and let it run a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the back of AirPort 2 for 7-8 seconds, then release and allow a minute for AirPort 2 to restart

Connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN port on AirPort 2

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Extreme

When you click on AirPort Extreme, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then display a screen that looks like the example below, except that you will see your devices and network information.

Base Station Name.......Type in a device name for AirPort 2

Click Next

Watch the next screen very carefully to see that AirPort 2 is being set up to extend using Ethernet. This will confirm that the setup wizard has picked up the Ethernet connection between the Time Capsule and AirPort 2 and the correct settings will be applied to AirPort 2

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done......and you are done.

If you are curious and want to see the actual settings that were applied to Airport 2, you can use AirPort Utility to take a look at the settings under the Wireless tab. You may be a bit surprised when you see the correct setting for AirPort 2 when it connects using Ethernet.

Jul 3, 2020 7:44 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I did that and had tech support from ATT out here. I finally got the extended airport network to hold. Now when I plug the ethernet into the base station extreme router to extend via ethernet to another base station on the other side of the house it turns off the internet until the airport utility recognizes everything. as soon as I unplug the ethernet cord from the base station the internet is connected. so weird.

Jul 3, 2020 8:00 AM in response to gibson176

Sorry, we can't see your network setup, so things that are obvious to you are totally unknown to us.

It sounds like you have an ATT gateway and two AirPort base stations, is that correct?

If yes, temporarily power off the AirPort base station for now......which we will call AirPort 2....... that is causing the problems.

Do things work OK now that way with the ATT gateway and other AirPort......which we will call AirPort 1?

If yes, how is AirPort 2 connected? Does it connect to an Ethernet port on AirPort 1.......or.....does it connect to an Ethernet port on the ATT gateway?

Jul 4, 2020 5:34 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob, Gateway to Airport Time Capsule ethernet to WAN set tup to create network then Ethernet from Airport Time Capsule LAN to AirPort Extreme Base Station (2) WAN port set up to extend network- This is the connection that seems to be causing trouble. Separate Ethernet connection from gateway modem to AirPort Extreme Base station upstairs to WAN port set up to extend network, no issues here. It seems that when the airport (2) downstairs is connected to the Airport (1) lan port the internet is disconnected. I can screen shot the airport utility but I don't know how.

Uverse gateway update disconnected internet from apple airport network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.