Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On the airport there's no internet when change dhcp range from 10. to 192. error says conflicting and no internet connection?

Hi! I use an Zyxel LTE 3301 for mobile broadband connection, and bridged to an apple airport, and want to use dhcp range 192. instead off the 10. but the airport won't connect to internet when apply this?

why? thankful for answers.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 11:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2022 5:28 AM

LTE3301-PLUS 4G LTE-A Indoor Router - Zyxelhttps://www.zyxel.com › products_services › 4G-LTE-... is a modem/router......not a pure modem.

If the AirPort is providing DHCP addresses in the 10.x.x.x range, then you are running two routers on the same network. You only want one device providing routing services on a network. In other words, since you are trying to run two devices that are both acting as routers on the same network, this is producing what is known as a Double NAT issue along with possible conflicting DHCP range problems.

The Zyxel router is providing 192.168.1.x addresses. If you try to configure the AirPort to provide the same 192.168.1.x address range, you have two devices both trying to provide IP addresses using the same IP address range. That won't work, as you have discovered.

If you want to use the AirPort to provide routing services, then the Zyxel device will need to be modified to operate in Bridge Mode or pure modem mode, if that is possible. Then......the AirPort can be configured to use the 192.168.1.x range and things will work correctly.

Or, if you don't want to set up the Zyxel device as a pure modem.......or it cannot be set up this way........then the AirPort should be configured in Bridge Mode to turn off its routing services to avoid the Double NAT network issue.

The AirPort can still act as a wireless access point (WAP) providing a Wi-Fi signal for the network using this type of setup, but the 192.168.1.x IP address assignments will be provided by the Zyxel router. The AirPort....in Bridge Mode.....(Apple calls this "Off (Bridge Mode)".......will simply pass through the routing directions from the Zyxel router to network devices.

Other than personal preference, there is no advantage in using the 192.x range over the 10.x range, or vice versa for that matter, but its your call on that.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2022 5:28 AM in response to tomazo

LTE3301-PLUS 4G LTE-A Indoor Router - Zyxelhttps://www.zyxel.com › products_services › 4G-LTE-... is a modem/router......not a pure modem.

If the AirPort is providing DHCP addresses in the 10.x.x.x range, then you are running two routers on the same network. You only want one device providing routing services on a network. In other words, since you are trying to run two devices that are both acting as routers on the same network, this is producing what is known as a Double NAT issue along with possible conflicting DHCP range problems.

The Zyxel router is providing 192.168.1.x addresses. If you try to configure the AirPort to provide the same 192.168.1.x address range, you have two devices both trying to provide IP addresses using the same IP address range. That won't work, as you have discovered.

If you want to use the AirPort to provide routing services, then the Zyxel device will need to be modified to operate in Bridge Mode or pure modem mode, if that is possible. Then......the AirPort can be configured to use the 192.168.1.x range and things will work correctly.

Or, if you don't want to set up the Zyxel device as a pure modem.......or it cannot be set up this way........then the AirPort should be configured in Bridge Mode to turn off its routing services to avoid the Double NAT network issue.

The AirPort can still act as a wireless access point (WAP) providing a Wi-Fi signal for the network using this type of setup, but the 192.168.1.x IP address assignments will be provided by the Zyxel router. The AirPort....in Bridge Mode.....(Apple calls this "Off (Bridge Mode)".......will simply pass through the routing directions from the Zyxel router to network devices.

Other than personal preference, there is no advantage in using the 192.x range over the 10.x range, or vice versa for that matter, but its your call on that.

Jun 12, 2022 3:31 PM in response to tomazo

The simplest thing to do would be to configure the AirPort in a Network Mode of Off (Bridge Mode), which would allow the Zyxel modem/router to provide IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range.

The possible downside to using the Zyxel device as the network router would be if it does not provide enough IP addresses for all your network devices. Mobile routers often have a limitation of 5-10 IP addresses for network clients.

If you use the AirPort as the network router, it can provide 50 IP addresses for Wi-Fi devices and about 150 IP addresses for wired Ethernet devices for a total of about 200 clients connecting to the network.

Jul 5, 2022 8:33 AM in response to tomazo

Hi again!

The reason that i wanted to change to 192.168.1.1 was that I had trouble with eve cam(no recordings getting through to my iphone), and the evesupport told me that I should use a class c net 192...., but after a lot of efforts to fix this, it doesn´t help. maybe it´s the bonjour that the zyxel can´t handle well??

Now my question is, can it be that I have to change mobilemodem/router? can you recommend one that suit my devices, mostly apple, except some homekit devices with different brands!

I should be very thankful for a recommendation / tomazo.

On the airport there's no internet when change dhcp range from 10. to 192. error says conflicting and no internet connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.