Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil unresponsive

My Apple Pencil (first generation) is unresponsive since iPadOS update 13.4. Other updates did not solve the problem.

Nib ok, hard reset, restore, WiFi on/off, Bluetooth on/off, pair/unpair... nothing works. And Apple support doesn’t help at all. I know I’m not the only one... someone?

iPad mini 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 8:16 PM

Went to the Genius Bar:

Issue: Customer states that Apple Pencil, when connected, does not always work. (I said that it was not working at all...)

Steps to Reproduce: Confirmed issue by connecting to a known-good iPad. The pencil was able to write intermittently. 

Cosmetic Condition: No signs of damage.

Proposed Resolution: Replace Apple Pencil under warranty.

Pencil is working... for now.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2020 8:16 PM in response to MichelPM

Went to the Genius Bar:

Issue: Customer states that Apple Pencil, when connected, does not always work. (I said that it was not working at all...)

Steps to Reproduce: Confirmed issue by connecting to a known-good iPad. The pencil was able to write intermittently. 

Cosmetic Condition: No signs of damage.

Proposed Resolution: Replace Apple Pencil under warranty.

Pencil is working... for now.

Jul 2, 2020 2:58 PM in response to MarieMtl

Another thing you can try.

Also, I suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services, again!

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

If you need to, if initial 1st tier Apple customer support is of no help to you, you can calmly ask to have this issue escalated up to more responsible, senior level Apple customer support employees to see if they can come up with other possible solution/s to this iPad/iPadOS/Apple Pencil issue, but I make no guarantees, whatsoever.

If need be, you can have this iPad/iPadOS/Apple Pencil issue escalated all the way up to Apple engineering staff supoort.

Even if no acceptable resolution, Apple, AT LEAST, logs all support calls and issues.

Best of Luck to You!

Jul 2, 2020 2:54 PM in response to MarieMtl

Try this.

One last ditch thing you can try is to plug the Pencil's Lightning connector into the iPad.

Then, try a simple hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

See if the Pencil starts charging then, when it reaches a sufficient charge, like over 15%, or so, or more, disconnect the Pencil and reconnect it to see if it Bluetooth pairs.

If it does pair, try using it.

This is all I got on this issue.

Apple Pencil unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.