Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad Air will not update to iOS 13

So it keeps updating but will not update to ios 13. I know it doesnt get that update i was just wondering why it keeps updating at all. i am at ios 12.4.7

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 8:22 PM

Hello,

If your iPad will not update past 12 then you have an iPad Air (1st generation). This iPad model does not support any system version newer than 12. You cannot update your iPad any further. If you need to use an application that requires a newer system software version then you will need to purchase a newer iPad model.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2020 8:22 PM in response to Rustytyber

Hello,

If your iPad will not update past 12 then you have an iPad Air (1st generation). This iPad model does not support any system version newer than 12. You cannot update your iPad any further. If you need to use an application that requires a newer system software version then you will need to purchase a newer iPad model.

Jul 5, 2020 6:51 AM in response to Rustytyber

If your cannot update beyond iOS 12.4.7, you have an a first generation iPad Air, an iPad mini2 or iPad mini3.

Apple formally ended update support for these models in September 2019. They cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Some App developers have dropped support for iOS versions preceding iOS 13.x for technical reasons (often because APIs or software libraries upon which they rely have been updated in the new version of iPadOS, making their App incompatible with earlier versions).

Whilst many App titles remain compatible with your iPad, if you want or need to access to Apps requiring the most recent versions of iOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model that supports iPadOS13.x.

Sorry, I appreciate that this may not be what you were hoping to learn.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your current iPad mini2.

My iPad Air will not update to iOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.