Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

C2D 2006 MacBook not Booting After Logic Board Replacement - MagSafe Light Green

I have a Late-2006 Core 2 Duo A1181 MacBook, it would boot but I wanted to do a logic board replacement. The replacement succeeded and the MacBook booted as expected for a few days. Then I turned off the MacBook to change the RAM and suddenly it stopped booting. I put back the original RAM and it still didn’t boot, so I assume the RAM might have fried the new logic board.

So I put back in the old logic board, which worked before I originally replaced it and has been sitting on my desk for a few days. After putting the old logic board back in it still wouldn’t boot. No fan, drive, optical drive activity or any sounds. The MagSafe light is green (these are common for tests using both logic boards).

I tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM already but nothing happened. As mentioned, I assume the RAM replacement fried the new logic board, but the old board doesn’t work so could the issue be with the MagSafe Board/Power Supply even though the MagSafe charger light is green?

Thanks

Also posted here: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/643979/C2D+2006+MacBook+not+Booting+After+Replacing+Logicboard-+MagSafe+Green

MacBook

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 4:46 PM

Remove both memory modules and see if it will give you the three beeps for no memory installed. If you don't get the three beeps, then most likely the Logic Board is bad since this is a very low level event. If you feel the DC-In Board is bad, then disconnect it and try using just the battery. Disconnect all non-essential items from the Logic Board including keyboard, trackpad, hard drive, optical drive, and display (use an external display).

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2020 4:46 PM in response to Thomas355

Remove both memory modules and see if it will give you the three beeps for no memory installed. If you don't get the three beeps, then most likely the Logic Board is bad since this is a very low level event. If you feel the DC-In Board is bad, then disconnect it and try using just the battery. Disconnect all non-essential items from the Logic Board including keyboard, trackpad, hard drive, optical drive, and display (use an external display).

Jul 3, 2020 6:40 PM in response to HWTech

There was no beep code when I removed the RAM sticks and no boot on battery either (it's almost fully charged), however earlier when it was working the battery was not always detected when plugged in. Disconnected everything and tried booting nothing happened either. I don't have anything at the moment to connect the MacBook to an external display though but I still disconnected the screen (the fabs stayed connected so I would've noticed if it booted.

So the issue is the logic board?

Jul 4, 2020 9:58 AM in response to Thomas355

I don't recall the details about the 2006 model, but I do know they are very similar to the later models through 2009. Our organization had a lot of the later models so I know those later models always seemed to have lots of Logic Board failures after about three years of use with the same no power on issue you are experiencing. It does not surprise me you are having this issue.

C2D 2006 MacBook not Booting After Logic Board Replacement - MagSafe Light Green

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.