Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie file export fail

I've tried to export my movie (File-Share-File) but the error "Video rendering error: -50 (iMovie error -50: renderVideoFrame failed)" comes up. I have gone through the video but see no flashes or moments where it goes black. I have also tried to export it by cutting the video in half and export both halves to try and find the issue but the same error came up for both sections. I then tried cropping the beginning a bit as I heard this sometimes helps but it did not. The app and my laptop are both up to date

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 11:50 AM

Error 50 is a rendering error that indicates corruption somewhere in the project Sometimes it can be difficult to locate the corrupt frames. You've taken the correct approach in trying to isolate the problem. It may not be a clip that is corrupt, but perhaps a corrupt font in a title. Working with a duplicate of your original movie, try eliminating all the titles and then share out. See what happens.

Deleting preferences can sometimes resolve share out problems. Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.

Another thing you can try is to copy your media into a newly created project and see if that cures the problem. To do

that, do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in your project and then Edit/Paste it into the newly created project. Also try creating a new project and putting in different media and sharing out.

Try creating a new library and copying your project into it, and then sharing out.

Is there anything odd about the formats or frame rates of the clips being used?

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2020 11:50 AM in response to _izzie__

Error 50 is a rendering error that indicates corruption somewhere in the project Sometimes it can be difficult to locate the corrupt frames. You've taken the correct approach in trying to isolate the problem. It may not be a clip that is corrupt, but perhaps a corrupt font in a title. Working with a duplicate of your original movie, try eliminating all the titles and then share out. See what happens.

Deleting preferences can sometimes resolve share out problems. Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.

Another thing you can try is to copy your media into a newly created project and see if that cures the problem. To do

that, do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in your project and then Edit/Paste it into the newly created project. Also try creating a new project and putting in different media and sharing out.

Try creating a new library and copying your project into it, and then sharing out.

Is there anything odd about the formats or frame rates of the clips being used?

-- Rich

imovie file export fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.