Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro shuts down after boot up — Battery Problem?

Hello guys,

I am currently using a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) that I purchased in January 2018. This is a recent problem.

I noticed that upon booting up my MacBook Pro, either from Sleep Mode or Power Off, if the MacBook Pro was unplugged, the boot up process will reach the desktop, load up a few apps then shut down again. If I pressed the Power button, the MacBook Pro will tell me that it was low on power and needed to be charged. This despite the fact that there's clearly more than enough battery life left (sometimes more than 80%).

Here's the strangest thing: if I follow the instructions, plug the computer to the charger, the MacBook Pro will return to the desktop (skipping boot up this time). And if I unplug the charger at this point, the MacBook Pro will operate as per normal.

What's going on? Is this a battery issue? Should this happen to a two-year-old MacBook Pro? Is it worth replacing the battery? I have tried resetting SMC settings to no avail.

Here are a few more specifications about my MacBook Pro:

Operating System: macOS Catalina 10.15.5

Processor: 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Battery Cycle Count (as per System Information): 267

Battery Condition (as per System Information): Service Recommended

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 6:53 PM

I am in the Battery Replacement camp on this one. One major reason is that your System Information has established that under Battery Condition, Service is Recommended. This means that the battery is not properly generating enough power levels to maintain efficient performance. The symptoms that you have mentioned in your original post also point to the battery as being one of the possible reasons.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2020 6:53 PM in response to PsYkOoOoO

I am in the Battery Replacement camp on this one. One major reason is that your System Information has established that under Battery Condition, Service is Recommended. This means that the battery is not properly generating enough power levels to maintain efficient performance. The symptoms that you have mentioned in your original post also point to the battery as being one of the possible reasons.

Axel F.

MacBook Pro shuts down after boot up — Battery Problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.