Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I bypass the activation lock?

I recently purchased an older model iPad from someone on e-bay. After using it for almost a year, it goes into "Activation Lock" and I have no idea how to reach the person I purchased it from. Is there anyway to get around that or reset the ipad?

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 7:20 PM

6 replies

Jul 3, 2020 7:38 PM in response to jkpro

This is NOT possible.

This iPad is a dead useless device to you now.

No one here can help you. Apple will not help you.

Activation Lock is a theft deterrent and personal data privacy feature that cannot be circumvented/worked around.

This iPad was never reset properly for resale.

Please recycle this device responsibly.

Next time, If you need an iPad, then, you need to purchase a new iPad from Apple or a discounted, refurbished iPad from Apple’s Refurbished & Clearance section of Apple’s Website or a new or refurbished iPad from an Apple authorised, third party retail or online reseller OR other trusted sources for new or used Apple products.

If you must purchase older, used iPad models, DO NOT look at anything older than a 2014 iPad Air 2 or 2015 iPad Mini 4.

Both of these models are the oldest iPad models that the up and coming iPadOS 14 will support, in the Fall of 2020.

If you must purchased used devices from unknown sources, you must ask more questions of the iOS device seller, ask for more photo/images, ask if the iPad has user/iCloud activation lock and ask for photos/images/short video proof that such an iPad has been reset factory settings and shown proof, ANY TRUE PROOF, of the iOS device's start up screen showing the animated, moving, multi-language “Hello” Welcome to iPad screen.

If the iOS device seller is unwilling to do all of this to show you that the iPad, in question, is ready to use with no barriers to new user activation and use, pass on the iOS device and look at other iOS device sellers elsewhere.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

How do I bypass the activation lock?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.