Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Won't Backup after Partitioning Hard Drive

Hello everyone

I have had a 4TB external hard drive with 1.5TB partitioned specifically for Time Machine and the other 2.5GB for other files which I've been using with no issues for the past three years. I wanted to reduce this allocation to create a new partition (3rd) for something I needed that required 100GB.

After successfully partitioning again (3rd partition), with the new 100GB partitioned drive working ok, my Time Machine will not back up, giving an error "Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “Time Machine”. Time Machine could not create a local snapshot to back up from." I have a lot of free space on the Time Machine partitioned drive.

Would you suggest I erase the Time Machine backup and start a new backup?

I am running macOS Catalina

Regards

Jason

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 4:46 AM

Thank you Kottaimuthu. I proceeded and erased the Partitioned Time Machine drive and started a fresh backup. seems to have worked. It will just take a lot of time to complete the backup process but it is worth the wait.

Similar questions

4 replies

Time Machine Won't Backup after Partitioning Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.