Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I keep macOS Catalina from automatically logging me out?

I noticed that if there is no activity in macOS Catalina for some time, it goes to the login screen. How do I disable that so I don't have to keep loging in?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 1:32 PM

It's not logging you out, but locking the screen. To increase the delay before this happens:

1. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy.
  2. On the General tab, adjust the dropdown for "Require password… after sleep or screen saver begins".

Of course, this can decrease security. If you're ever in a situation where you want to lock the computer immediately, click Apple menu > Lock Screen or press Control–Command–Q.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2020 1:32 PM in response to madirmur59

It's not logging you out, but locking the screen. To increase the delay before this happens:

1. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy.
  2. On the General tab, adjust the dropdown for "Require password… after sleep or screen saver begins".

Of course, this can decrease security. If you're ever in a situation where you want to lock the computer immediately, click Apple menu > Lock Screen or press Control–Command–Q.

Jul 4, 2020 1:34 PM in response to madirmur59

Go to System Preferences.

Security and Privacy.

Uncheck the box to require password after sleep or screen saver.

You can also go to Energy Saver and select "prevent sleep"

You may also have to go to Screen Saver preference and select "never" for the screen saver to start. But I think my very first suggestion should work without the others which would waste energy.

How do I keep macOS Catalina from automatically logging me out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.