Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off auto-logout on 10.15.6 Catalina

I've got a brand new MacBook Pro 16" that is running the latest update and under Security/Privacy -> General -> Advanced -> when I uncheck the box or even change the logout time to something other than 30 minutes, it resets itself as soon as I close System Preferences and open it back up again.

Is there a command I can run to do this same thing?

Why won't it stay unchecked?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 9:52 AM

Is this a Mac you purchased yourself, or was it provided to you by an employer or similar? If the latter, they can apply root-level policies that you cannot change (and forcing a time-based logout is an obvious one for security reasons).

3 replies

Aug 27, 2020 9:44 AM in response to camblair

I have tried running the commands I found for the GlobalPreferences file with no good results.

I've also tried this:

Go to System Preferences | Security & Privacy | Click on "Advanced" on bottom right (unlock padlock first) | Uncheck "Logout after X minutes of inactivity"...and it will look like this worked, but if I close System Preferences and open it again, it is always enabled again...which is my problem...

Turn off auto-logout on 10.15.6 Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.