Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I back up the watch before I unpair it from the iPhone 7?

I am recycling my old Apple Watch. Do I backup the watch before I unpair from my iPhone 7?

Apple Watch, watchOS 4

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 4:25 PM

When you unpair the watch a backup is automatically made and uploaded to the cloud and when you pair a new watch with your phone you can restore the phone from this backup.

Follow these steps to remove the old watch from your phone;

Remove Activation lock

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2020 4:25 PM in response to Necie07

When you unpair the watch a backup is automatically made and uploaded to the cloud and when you pair a new watch with your phone you can restore the phone from this backup.

Follow these steps to remove the old watch from your phone;

Remove Activation lock

Jul 4, 2020 4:24 PM in response to Necie07

Yes, but according to: Back up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

"Apple Watch content backs up automatically to your companion iPhone, so you can restore your Apple Watch from a backup. When you back up your iPhone to iCloud or iTunes, your iPhone backup will also include your Apple Watch data."

"When you unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone, your iPhone automatically creates a backup of your Apple Watch. Unpairing will erase all data from your Apple Watch. If your Apple Watch is unpaired while out of range of your iPhone, the backup might not have the latest data. When you're ready, you can pair your Apple Watch again and set it up from a backup."

Do I back up the watch before I unpair it from the iPhone 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.