Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Horizontal line at the bottom part in Macbook pro 15 (2016) model.

Hello,

I have been facing the horizontal lines at the bottom when laptop is overheating and If I don't use mac for while then the line disappears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ZeHf5lsbQ

In the above link, you see the line at the bottom.

please help us.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 9:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 10:22 PM

I saw the video that you posted. That horizontal line appears to be a symptom of a failing GPU, failing Display OR the cable that connects the GPU and the Display. That is my initial and most likely a correct assumption.

You can still try to address it by utilizing the actions in the following steps, one at a time:

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the screen issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Beyond the above recommendations, You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center when they open or contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2020 10:22 PM in response to raghavthakkar

I saw the video that you posted. That horizontal line appears to be a symptom of a failing GPU, failing Display OR the cable that connects the GPU and the Display. That is my initial and most likely a correct assumption.

You can still try to address it by utilizing the actions in the following steps, one at a time:

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the screen issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Beyond the above recommendations, You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center when they open or contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Jul 5, 2020 12:30 AM in response to Axel Foley

Firstly, I have rest everything.

It didn't not help at all.

The lines didn't appear when I take screenshots.Hence, It couldn't be the GPU issue.

The lines disappear after not using for a while.

As ifixit has given an explanation that

The T-CON board is temperature sensitive! When it gets over heated it looses its clocking so the horizontal & vertical raster of the LCD signals gets messed up which is why you see the black & grey lines on either the top or bottom of the screen.

You'll note the display is better after the system has sat a day or so or if you place the system in a cooler location for a few hours. Sadly, once its become stressed it doesn't take as much heat to make it fail again. As it breaks down the vertical scan starts to also fail.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/510833/Horizontal+lines+on+top+and+bottom+screen#answer642687

Lastly, I have given the MacBook Pro at the service center. They have analysed the laptop but they didn't give me the exact reason why it is happening. As you have mentioned Cable issue, GPU is failing or LCD is failing. They might have not reproduced the issue.

What should I have to do?

This is completely disappointing.

Horizontal line at the bottom part in Macbook pro 15 (2016) model.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.