Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail constantly crashing - how to isolate rogue message or interpret detailed error message

I have a MacBook Pro early 2011 running High Sierra (doesn't support Catalina). My mail app is constantly crashing even in middle of an email. I've erased the disk and reinstalled, turned off different mailboxes and deleted .plist and envelope files but nothing helps. Think it may be a rogue email but not sure. Don't know how to isolate it. Below is the detailed error message I get. Have another MacBook Pro in the family and doing the same but could be a shared email or is it something to do with old hardware/High Sierra? Any help really appreciated.

MacBook

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 5:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 12:55 PM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2020 12:55 PM in response to SallyM0

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

Jul 18, 2020 5:14 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua

Thanks so much for the follow up. Really appreciate it.

I wiped my husband's MacBook Air IOS Catalina and logged in with my account - no Mail problems - so discovered it wasn't a rogue mail so either Mac or High Sierra issue (given I'd wiped the Mac and it was still doing it)

Daughters old MacBook Pro with High Sierra was doing the same Mail crashing - with her Mail account.

Was planning to upgrade my MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011 A1286 with an SSD and 8GB RAM but with this Mail issue and the fact that I can only go up to IOS High Sierra on it - I decided instead to treat myself to a new MacBook Air 2020 :)

So old 15" now up for sale on eBay!!

Sorry I didn't follow through with your instructions but it is so great to have support like yours when you need it.

Thanks again

Apple Mail constantly crashing - how to isolate rogue message or interpret detailed error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.