Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail crashes often

Hi

Using Mail Version 11.5 (3445.9.5) on High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G13035).

Recently the app has been crashing after a few minutes or more , I usually get half way through composing an email and then its shut itself down and disappears off the, really annoying. I can't recall that Ive installed anything since it started doing this.

I did open the console to see if I could find anything, I did find this......

20:58:33.323700 +0100 ReportCrash com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.crashreporter.writereport.crash

com.apple.message.signature: Mail

com.apple.message.signature2: com.apple.mail ||| 11.5 (3445.9.5)

com.apple.message.signature3: UNKNOWN

com.apple.message.result: NO

com.apple.message.summarize: YES

SenderMachUUID: 4391863C-E20C-3EC5-879D-DE0C3C679165

Any ideas welcome

Regards Tony

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 2:30 PM

Hi Tony,

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2020 2:30 PM in response to tramsden

Hi Tony,

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

Jul 3, 2020 7:45 PM in response to tramsden

Is Mail the only thing that crashes?

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#notupdated

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Jul 14, 2020 2:16 AM in response to BDAqua

Mail still crashes but I've yet to do the MacOS recovery re install yet, I will probably this weekend.

Interestingly since trying a tip about deleting the .plist files, Ive noticed that when opening the mail app it closes immediately I preform a mouse click on a mail header but then when I reopen the app its a lot more stable and usually runs ok ??

Tony

Mail crashes often

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.