Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions Errors for files on multiple external hard drives

Hi

I am having a digital declutter, going through multiple older external hard drives and transferring the files I want to get to new hard drives and putting them sorting them at the same time. Some files I can't open or delete as I don't have the permissions to do so. As well as having on new drives, they will also go on my NAS and uploaded to cloud backup.

I am dealing with thousands of files - from video to docs etc. Is there a quick way or software I can use to select a bunch of files in one got rather than update each file one by one which will take too long to do.

Thanks

Matt

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 8:17 AM

Are you asking about changing the permissions on all the files at once?

You can Get Info on the enclosing folder and set the permissions for that, then use Apply to Enclosed from the Gear menu to propagate the change everything inside the folder.

Note that due to security changes, you may not be able to do that to the top level of the drive. You'll have to start from the first level subfolders.

If there is an Ignore Ownership checkbox in Sharing & Permissions of Get Info for the drive, checking that should give you full access, but there have been problems reported here where that doesn't work. May be worth Relaunching Finder after checking the box if it doesn't give you access.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2020 8:17 AM in response to AppleMacCider

Are you asking about changing the permissions on all the files at once?

You can Get Info on the enclosing folder and set the permissions for that, then use Apply to Enclosed from the Gear menu to propagate the change everything inside the folder.

Note that due to security changes, you may not be able to do that to the top level of the drive. You'll have to start from the first level subfolders.

If there is an Ignore Ownership checkbox in Sharing & Permissions of Get Info for the drive, checking that should give you full access, but there have been problems reported here where that doesn't work. May be worth Relaunching Finder after checking the box if it doesn't give you access.

Jul 5, 2020 8:39 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you Barney-15E

I think that will solve many of the folder and file issues if I can find and try and delete duplicate and non longer needed files. I am just concerned some files may be held in several sub folders in from the main folder so may take a while to do.

I was hoping there was an app or terminal command line I could use and by magic it would fix the problem, but probably asking for too much.

Jul 5, 2020 4:19 PM in response to AppleMacCider

I was hoping there was an app or terminal command line I could use and by magic it would fix the problem, but probably asking for too much.

There is, and I told you how to accomplish it in the GUI.

You can run a terminal command, but it won't do anything more than what I described to do in Get Info. If the root level of the hard drive can't be modified in the GUI, the Terminal isn't going to change things. You'll have to step down to one lower level and modify those folders and everything in them with Apply to Enclosed.

Permissions Errors for files on multiple external hard drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.