Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to change Apple ID's primary email address (that was previously used for another Apple ID)

I'm not able to change Apple ID's primary email address from (let's say) yyy@gmail.com to xxx@gmail.com, but I can change it to abc@gmail.com with no problems at all.

Now, everytime I try to change it this error occures:

"Your new Apple ID cannot be the same as your notification email address. Choose a different email address."

As a matter of fact, xxx@gmail.com had been used for another Apple ID, that was deleted about a month ago.

That leads me to my question:

Can I even reuse xxx@gmail.com for other Apple Id now? If so, what can be a problem in my case?

Regards

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 9:59 AM

Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, for example as a Notification email address or a Rescue e-mail address, then it can't be reused with another Apple ID for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again.  You will need to get another e-mail address to use as your Apple ID or you can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2020 9:59 AM in response to worlds_destroyer69

Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, for example as a Notification email address or a Rescue e-mail address, then it can't be reused with another Apple ID for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again.  You will need to get another e-mail address to use as your Apple ID or you can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

Not able to change Apple ID's primary email address (that was previously used for another Apple ID)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.