Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

documents and sync data usage

I have been struggling with this problem on and off for years now. Documents and Sync is chewing up TONS of my data and there is no stopping it. I have all cell data toggles turned off for all iCloud syncing etc. but it's no help. I have signed out and signed back in to my iCloud account which has fixed it in the past for a few months but not this time. It is happening on both my and my wife's phone and is very very annoying. As an aside Apple should put a toggle next to the documents and sync category for cell usage like all the other apps in the cell data preference pane so I can just shut it off but I don't see that happening. The solution of "just turn off iCloud" is not helpful because it's what makes my phone work. I have no idea why we can't have control over this whole category to just turn it off... any ideas on something that might work?

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 10:30 AM

Just a random observation I had when poking around on my phone after reading your post.. If you go to Settings>Cellular and scroll all the way to the bottom after all the apps load.. There is a switch for 'iCloud Drive' that you can turn off and the description is 'When not connected to Wi-Fi, use cellular network to transfer documents and data'. This sounds exactly like what your issue is. have you tried turning that off?

If this was helpful, please mark helpful/solved! Thanks!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2020 10:30 AM in response to durandal343

Just a random observation I had when poking around on my phone after reading your post.. If you go to Settings>Cellular and scroll all the way to the bottom after all the apps load.. There is a switch for 'iCloud Drive' that you can turn off and the description is 'When not connected to Wi-Fi, use cellular network to transfer documents and data'. This sounds exactly like what your issue is. have you tried turning that off?

If this was helpful, please mark helpful/solved! Thanks!

documents and sync data usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.