Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

375000 items to delete?

I have an old MacBook Pro I'm bringing back to life. I copied a bunch of files (maybe 20) into an external hard drive to bring over to my current laptop. Each file has lots of stuff in it, but....

I'm trying to delete those files from the laptop now, and the Trash said there were over 375,000 items to empty.

How can this be possible?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 12:45 PM

5 replies

Jul 5, 2020 2:09 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

What I meant was, I know I didn't create 375,000 files. I'm trying to understand what's actually being deleted. Are there hidden things that are created with each new document or file, which are now being deleted?

I'm trying to take stuff I want to keep OFF the old laptop, and probably wipe it clean afterwards, and use it with a piano keyboard arranger for music only. No mail, no Adobe, no Microsoft suite, etc.

When it told me it was going to delete what turned out to be over 500,000 items, I began to freak out. It's now doing the deleting which is taking a long time, but there's only 87,000 items left. I just wondered what is actually happening.

Thanks for the link.

Jul 5, 2020 2:34 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Sorry I'm confused again. The Trash window worked its way down from 500,000 items, which took a long time, and I thought it was finally going to say it was empty. Nope - it got done to zero, but now it says Items to Delete and it's got a number that's working it's way back UP from zero to, I presume, 500,000 again. Is this right? I hate to interrupt it and have to start all over. I've never deleted this much trash before so I've no experience with this. It's back up to - (minus) 26,000 to delete and climbing.

Normal?

375000 items to delete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.