Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I remove a large folder from my MacBook that's also on my iCloud Drive?

Hi. I have a very large folder on my MacBook Air that's taking up a lot of space. A copy is on my iCloud Drive. Can I safely delete it from my MacBook and keep the file on my iCloud Drive for when I need it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 9, 2021 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 7:59 PM

As per the article Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Move items to your Mac and remove them from iCloud Drive

• On your Mac, drag items from iCloud drive to another folder in the Finder sidebar or on the desktop, such as Downloads, Movies, Music and Pictures. 
  • The items are copied to your Mac and removed from iCloud Drive on all your devices set up for iCloud. If you change your mind, you can drag items back to iCloud Drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2021 7:59 PM in response to Dieds

As per the article Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Move items to your Mac and remove them from iCloud Drive

• On your Mac, drag items from iCloud drive to another folder in the Finder sidebar or on the desktop, such as Downloads, Movies, Music and Pictures. 
  • The items are copied to your Mac and removed from iCloud Drive on all your devices set up for iCloud. If you change your mind, you can drag items back to iCloud Drive.

May 10, 2021 6:59 AM in response to Dieds

You can select , copy the large folder and paste in home folder .

Also once you delete large folder when iCloud Drive and desktops and documents box is checked it will be deleted from iCloud Drive as well from iCloud.com .

The best way is as mentioned in the article ( drag and drop the document in other location , you won't loose that document , in future if you want to use it again save in iCloud Drive ) .

Can I remove a large folder from my MacBook that's also on my iCloud Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.