Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM upgrade

Hi. I just bought a new iMac. I need to upgrade the RAM to 32GB. Does Apple do this if I take it into a store?

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 1:11 PM

What iMac?

If you bought a 21.5-inch model, the RAM is not practically upgradeable. The case is glued together.

It can be theoretically done but Apple will not do it. Some Apple Authorized Service Providers will not tackle that difficult job either. It requires almost a complete gutting of the computer to access the slots, which are on the "wrong" side fo the logic board; even the logic board has to come out. IT is NOT an end-user job unless you have expereince working moredn computer and tiny elctrical connections.

27-inch iMacs have user-upgradeable RAM.

Please see this Apple article on iMac RAM before spending any money:

Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

noting this part:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2020 1:11 PM in response to maharris525

What iMac?

If you bought a 21.5-inch model, the RAM is not practically upgradeable. The case is glued together.

It can be theoretically done but Apple will not do it. Some Apple Authorized Service Providers will not tackle that difficult job either. It requires almost a complete gutting of the computer to access the slots, which are on the "wrong" side fo the logic board; even the logic board has to come out. IT is NOT an end-user job unless you have expereince working moredn computer and tiny elctrical connections.

27-inch iMacs have user-upgradeable RAM.

Please see this Apple article on iMac RAM before spending any money:

Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

noting this part:

RAM upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.