Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it that when I delete a picture is says it will be deleted from all your devices?

Why is it that when I go to delete a picture it tells me that it will be deleted from all your devices?

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 5:43 PM

Anything that you delete from your phone will be deleted from iCloud, and then from any device that is also logged in to iCloud. If you transfer photos to your PC using a USB connection those are not in iCloud, and they will not be deleted.

Another way to move photos to your PC is to log in to https://icloud.com and click on Photos. From there you can download your photos to directories on your PC, where they will be “safe”.

There are other options for preserving photos:

• Sync to Google Photos
  • Sync to some other photo archiving service such as Shutterfly
  • Sync to Dropbox
  • Sync to box.com
  • Sync to Microsoft OneDrive
  • Sync to Amazon Photos
  • back up to Livedrive or a similar backup service
  • Backup to any other backup or archiving service

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2020 5:43 PM in response to Chichifromfl

Anything that you delete from your phone will be deleted from iCloud, and then from any device that is also logged in to iCloud. If you transfer photos to your PC using a USB connection those are not in iCloud, and they will not be deleted.

Another way to move photos to your PC is to log in to https://icloud.com and click on Photos. From there you can download your photos to directories on your PC, where they will be “safe”.

There are other options for preserving photos:

• Sync to Google Photos
  • Sync to some other photo archiving service such as Shutterfly
  • Sync to Dropbox
  • Sync to box.com
  • Sync to Microsoft OneDrive
  • Sync to Amazon Photos
  • back up to Livedrive or a similar backup service
  • Backup to any other backup or archiving service

Jul 6, 2020 5:37 PM in response to LACAllen

I thank you for your response. If I need to make room on my iPhone and it keeps telling me that the storage is full, my question is if I delete it from my iPhone after I have connected my iPhone to my PC, which I have icloud on both my iPhone and my pc, WOULD THAT ERASE THE PICTURES ON MY PC?

This is driving me crazy...🤪

I have deleted pictures from my iPhone and I don’t even know if they are staying in my computer.

Thank you any one please help.

Jul 6, 2020 5:44 PM in response to Chichifromfl

Chichifromfl wrote:

I thank you for your response. If I need to make room on my iPhone and it keeps telling me that the storage is full, my question is if I delete it from my iPhone after I have connected my iPhone to my PC, which I have icloud on both my iPhone and my pc, WOULD THAT ERASE THE PICTURES ON MY PC?
This is driving me crazy...🤪
I have deleted pictures from my iPhone and I don’t even know if they are staying in my computer.
Thank you any one please help.

Not sure I understand.

Your PC is not involved in the relationship between your phone and iCloud.

By design, your phone should sync any deletions you make to iCloud. If you delete photos from your phone, you won't get that space "back" until you also empty the "recently deleted items" album.

CAUTION: when you delete your photos from that album, they are gone forever. There is no UNDO or recovery.

Why is it that when I delete a picture is says it will be deleted from all your devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.