Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Super Glue Removal

I spilled superglue on my iPad Pro. Can someone please tell me how to remove it without damaging my tablet?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 4:56 PM

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. Upon further research I tried WD-40 and it worked! So here’s the solution just in case someone asks any of you: spray cotton ball lightly with WD-40 and dab the glue area just a couple of times immediately wipe with dry soft cloth. Than I just used my nails and picked away in tiny sections. Repeat all steps until clean. It took some time but it’s better than having to replace my iPad... and it was free :) My iPad looks and works as it did before ... perfect!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2020 4:56 PM in response to GlamGurl9

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. Upon further research I tried WD-40 and it worked! So here’s the solution just in case someone asks any of you: spray cotton ball lightly with WD-40 and dab the glue area just a couple of times immediately wipe with dry soft cloth. Than I just used my nails and picked away in tiny sections. Repeat all steps until clean. It took some time but it’s better than having to replace my iPad... and it was free :) My iPad looks and works as it did before ... perfect!

Jul 5, 2020 1:42 PM in response to GlamGurl9

I don't think you can remove it without damaging your screen. You have already damaged the screen by spilling glue on it. Apple doesn't repair iPad, so they can't help with this other than to offer an out of warranty replacement at about 60% of the original cost of the iPad or if you purchased AppleCare+ when you bought the iPad and it's still valid a replacement will cost $49. Otherwise, you may just have to live with glue on your screen.

Sorry

Jul 5, 2020 4:05 PM in response to GlamGurl9

The use of strong solvents, such as Acetone, should be avoided. These solvents can cause irreparable damage to surface coatings and finishes, not to mention their affinity for seeping through seems. iPad is not resistant to liquids of any type.

Cyanoacrylate acrylate adhesives (“superglue” is a brand name) work at a chemical level by creating polymer bonds through attraction of water molecules. Breakdown of the polymer requires the use of a material that has a stronger attraction to the cured polymer than water.

Loctite and other manufacturers of cyanoacrylate adhesives do produce a product that is designed to allow polymer bonds to be subsequently broken-down to permit disassembly of joints - including unintentional bonding of skin. You should be able to readily locate these products in better hardware stores - or Amazon. Simply search for “superglue remover”. These products are not solvents per-se - and will be kinder to the surfaces of the iPad than aggressive solvents.

Jul 5, 2020 2:01 PM in response to GlamGurl9

At this point, if the super glue is on the iPad's screen, you could try Nail Polish remover ( the kind with Acetone in it ) to remove the glue off of the glass.

The Acetone in the nail polish remover will probably remove the oleopobic and matte coatings OFF of the iPad's screen, but it should not affected the actual glass, at all.

Use the nail polish remover on a cloth and keep away from any seams and buttons near or around the glass screen and DO NOT SPILL THE NAIL POLISH REMOVER ON THE IPAD!

Keep the bottle or nail polish remover AWAY from the iPad!

If no joy, if you did not purchase paid, extended, two-year AppleCare+ for this expensive iPad, be prepared for a significant expense to purchase another replacement iPad Pro.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Jul 5, 2020 2:36 PM in response to GlamGurl9

Immediately after you use the nail polish remover to clean off all of super glue, use a warm water damp, but not soaking microfibre cloth with a little dish soap mixed up in the microfibre cloth and carefully clean off your iPad's screen, carefully avoiding and cracks and buttons.

Then once you have damp cleaned off the iPad’s screen of any nail polish remover, use a dry microfibre to dry off the iPad's screen.

I would do this warm damp dry microfibre cloth screen clean up twice, jus to make sure you cleared off all of the nail polish remove from the glass of the iPad.

Jul 5, 2020 3:38 PM in response to GlamGurl9

Other websites have suggested vinegar. I’ve never tried it and have no idea what it may do to the screen of your device. The glass part should be fine but not sure about the coating.

They’ve also suggested using vegetable oil to remove it from your fingers/loosen stuck together fingers but I’ve never used it that way.

If you do the acetone route use a q-tip and do your best to keep the chemical only on the super glue and keep it off your screen as much as possible. If you get it thin enough you may be able to get your fingernail under the edge and pop it off

Super Glue Removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.