Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Laggy Facebook (Safari)

Hello, since recent Facebook layout redesign, Safari has been REALLY laggy. It types really slow and it continues to type after I stop pressing the keys.

Meanwhile in Chrome this doesn't happen.

I prefer Safari as a browser but this issue is getting annoying, is there any way to fix it or report it to Apple so they can patch it?

Chrome: Fast

https://i.imgur.com/pQZwzPQ.mp4

Safari: Laggy

https://i.imgur.com/JopY2CC.mp4

I'm using a late 2018 MBP 15" inches, 16gb ram so hardware shouldn't be an issue because it's fairly new.

I'm using Mojave 10.14.6 and the latest version of Safari 13.0.1

Any help would be really appreciated

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 3:24 PM

54 replies

Jul 5, 2020 6:56 PM in response to MauroPerez

The newest version of Safari is 13.1.1. You can check for an update in System Preferences/Software update.

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Jul 5, 2020 7:24 PM in response to Eric Root

1) I'm not running any Antivirus or VPNs

2) My latest version of Safari is 13.0.1 because I'm in Mojave, if i go to system update I only get the option to update to Catalina and I need to finish some work on 32 bits apps before I update the SO.

3) Tried creating a new admin account as you suggested but I do get the same lag while typing on Facebook. Oddly this only happens on Facebook and with the new design layout, on Twitter, Youtube, etc works just fine like I said.

4) Tried booting into Safe mode and the same happens. I can type fine If I comment on the first posts that appear on the feed, but as soon as I scroll down even 2-3 times and try to comment on a different post, it starts typing slow and even if I let go the keyboard it continues typing the rest of the phrase. Makes me feel I'm on a very old PC but that isn't the case, I edit photos, watch 4K videos, edit videos and it works just fine on these tasks. So I guess Safari is just badly optimized for Facebook.

I guess I'll have to update to Catalina and pray my apps do work.

Is there anything else I can do? Like tweak any settings in the terminal to give Safari extra graphic performance or something.

Aug 12, 2020 9:28 PM in response to MrHoffman

Hi

I use Safari as my main web browser an it works fine face book was great then as soon as they updated the new Facebook the problems began, I could scroll through a couple of pages no problem but when I tried to wright a message the keyboard would work so slow its ridicules but when I went back to the old style of Facebook it worked perfectly could scroll down for hours an hours (I know hours an hours on Facebook book I need to get a life) no problem an no problem typing any messages everything working as normal but as soon as it went back to the new Facebook the problems happened again an ive done all the normal stuff an nothing works but if I open another tab on safari it works just fine any help to fix this would be amazing please excuse my spelling an grammar am dyslexic (Imagine someone who has problems with grammar an spelling trying desperately to spell dyslexic the person who named it this needs to have a word with themselves) many thanks Chris

Sep 23, 2020 7:10 PM in response to MauroPerez

I have the same issue since the latest Facebook. When scrolling I often see the spinning ball and if I am on for more than say 5 minutes it really starts to lag and typing into any field in Facebook is painfully slow. If I type a short 10 word sentence I have to wait about a minute after I type for it to finish. Before the new Facebook I kept getting "this web page is using too much memory" warnings.

iMac Retina 5K 40GB RAM 4.2 GHz i7

Safari 13.03

Mac OS 10.13.6 (can't upgrade further or I will lose use of my old Adobe software).

Oct 30, 2020 9:06 AM in response to MauroPerez

I'm using Safari 14.0 on Mojave 10.14.6 on a flashed 2009 (2010 now) Mac Pro with a 3.33 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, 48 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM and a Radeon RX 580 with 8 GB of RAM. That should be overkill for running Safari and it is. Except for Facebook.

I don't know what happened, but out of necessity, I've taken to using Opera when I go to Facebook. It is a clunky work-around, but it seems to be the only thing that lets me do what I want without bogging down, running into severe typing lag, unresponsive page scrolls, clicks, and the annoying message about the page using significant resources. Opera moves at near instant speed when I visit Facebook.

None of these problems occur on other sites. Just Facebook.

As an added note, I'm not running any ad-block extensions.

There is no reason I can think of that Facebook has such a negative effect on Safari, but it happens.

Dec 1, 2020 3:28 PM in response to r.dunlap

Yup I just bought a brand new iMac at Costco yesterday, and made the big mistake of upgrading to Big Sur. Facebook and Facebook messenger were working fine before the upgrade, now they are both lagging and taking forever to load. I can't even get photos I attach in messenger to send. Very frustrated. I hope Apple works out these issues soon.

Laggy Facebook (Safari)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.