Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Utility Can no Longer See My Airport Express? Can No Longer Extend WiFi Network?

In order to sort out my home WiFi network that was becoming unreliable (too much interference from other networks, I believe) I decided to rebuild it from scratch, hard resetting my AirPort Time Capsule (A1302) and AirPort Express (A1084). Using AirPort Utility (v6.3.9 (639.13)), the Time Capsule came up, no problem, and I set it up as the base station as before. However, my AirPort Express, with which I had used to extend the signal from this same Time Capsule now no longer appears in the AirPort Utility. I have changed nothing in the way of geography between the base station and the Express repeater. Please tell me I am doing something amazingly and obviously stupid, as it would not be the first time.

My thanks in advance,

Raoul Duke

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 3:05 PM

When you reset the Airport Express unfortunately you lost the ability to control it from Mac or iOS. Apple long ago ceased support for the old Express.. only the N wireless models are supported.

To regain control you need airport utility 5.6.1 which can be downloaded from Apple for Windows. It is no longer supported in Mac OS although earlier versions do have a work around Catalina is unlikely to work ever.

Sorry but since Apple abandoned windows support about the same time.. it still allows you to use old app on any version of windows.. if you don't have access to a windows machine ask a friendly neighbour or relative to help you out.

I have to admit I am amazed a Gen2 TC still works at all.. and the wireless from both the TC and the G wireless express are TERRIBLE. It is time (about 8 years ago) to update your wireless routers).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2020 3:05 PM in response to Raoul_Duke

When you reset the Airport Express unfortunately you lost the ability to control it from Mac or iOS. Apple long ago ceased support for the old Express.. only the N wireless models are supported.

To regain control you need airport utility 5.6.1 which can be downloaded from Apple for Windows. It is no longer supported in Mac OS although earlier versions do have a work around Catalina is unlikely to work ever.

Sorry but since Apple abandoned windows support about the same time.. it still allows you to use old app on any version of windows.. if you don't have access to a windows machine ask a friendly neighbour or relative to help you out.

I have to admit I am amazed a Gen2 TC still works at all.. and the wireless from both the TC and the G wireless express are TERRIBLE. It is time (about 8 years ago) to update your wireless routers).

Jul 6, 2020 3:19 PM in response to Raoul_Duke

Unfortunately, you are not going to be pleased with this answer.

An AirPort Express A1084 did not ever have a setting to "extend wireless network" because Apple introduced the "extend" feature with the A1264 model of the Express in March 2008. So, your A1084 Express could "join" the wireless network at the time for use with AirPlay or to connect a USB printer, but the Express could not "extend" the network.

Apple has classified the A1084 Express has "Obsolete" for the last 5-6 years, because it is not compatible with any 6.3.x version of AirPort Utility that has been introduced in the last 10 years. The only way that you might be able to access the settings on the A1084 Express would be to try the old Windows 5.6.1 version of AirPort Utility.

But, even if you have a PC or friend has a PC, you won't be able to configure the A1084 to "extend" the network because the "extend" settings do not exist for that product.

If you want an Express to "extend" the network, you can look on Ebay for either the A1264 model or better yet the A1392 version, which will be compatible with the 6.3.9 version of AirPort Utility that you have.

On the bright side, it is amazing that an A1084 Express will even power up at all. It should have died 5+ years ago. On the downside, the A1302 version of the Time Capsule is going to be at least 10 years old and as much as almost 12. The hard drive is overdue to fail at this point, so you would not want to keep any data on the Time Capsule that you cannot afford to lose.

Jul 7, 2020 1:23 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for your quick and helpful reply. Actually, I provided incorrect information in my original post regarding my AirPort Express, a mistake by which my knowledge profited in the end, thanks to your knowledge. I actually do use an A1264, not an A1084, to extend the network from my Time Capsule; I simply misread the model number on my stock's inventory list. I left the A1264 plugged in all night last night, and this morning it appeared in the AirPort Utility as reliably as before. I suppose the only thing required was a stock of patience.

What I learned from your post, however, was confirmation of what I had feared, that the A1084 had entered silicon heaven and now sings 16-bit songs alongside my beloved first Mac (an "SE" model with a 20MB hard drive!) of yesteryear. To remedy my Wifi problem, I had hoped to bulk up my network with a couple of (old) A1084s in my inventory, but now I will not waste the electrons on them. I will, however, look for some used A1264s or A1392s.

May I stretch your knowledge and experience a bit more? With Apple having cast off its own range of WiFi gear, which 3d party manufacturer out there produces the most Mac-friendly line of WiFi gear, with the best utility software? My current inventory of gear will self-obsolete soon enough, and it's best to be prepared for the inevitable. (I look upon anything recommended on Apple's own Store website with a well-deserved degree of suspicion...) I am a part-time DJ and have five hungry Macs to feed with WiFi.

Thanks again!

Raoul Duke

Airport Utility Can no Longer See My Airport Express? Can No Longer Extend WiFi Network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.