Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing masked images in Keynote - that retains the same dimensions as the existing image

I'm trying to replace a like for like image (same dimensions) in a masked shape in Keynote. When I replace the new image (which is the same dimensions as the original inserted image) the new image comes in at a reduced size. How do I get Keynote to replace the image and keep it at the same size as before?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 4:27 AM

8 replies

Jul 9, 2020 2:27 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your instructions and movie. I have tried to replicate your process, but again I can't get this to work. I have created another movie in the hope that you can spot what I'm doing wrong. I have just downloaded the latest version of Keynote (10.1) and I'm using an iMac running Catalina 10.15.5.

https://youtu.be/wRAdJIUbnxI

Jul 9, 2020 2:49 PM in response to richardesigner

It would appear that every time I try and replace the image, the imported image is re-sized to fit the width of the masked area. I wonder if there is some kind of preference at work here? The first image below shows the original masked image. The second is what happens when I've replaced the image. The third shows the extent of the new imported image and how it has been re-sized to fit the width of the mask.

Jul 8, 2020 7:33 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi Gary,

It does make sense. Apologies... I probably didn't explain the process properly. Open Keynote. Drop in a PNG file. Reduce that image in size. Place a shape over the top of it and mask it. Then open, amend and resave the PNG (exactly the same size as it was before) - (you don't have to do this - just try with the existing PNG if you don't have PhotoShop etc). Now click on the mask in Keynote and try and replace the masked image with the updated PNG. You try it. It replaces the image - but shrinks it even smaller. It's impossible - even with the 'Define as media placeholder' clicked on - to 'replace' the image in the mask, with the image (or even the same existing image!) without it changing size. You cannot perform a simple image update that keeps the same proportion as before. This is a real headache when trying to update a presentation with updated images.

I've created a little movie to show what happens. See link below. https://youtu.be/uiN07-c9jBo

All the best,

Richard

Jul 9, 2020 1:00 PM in response to richardesigner

The procedure you have in your youtube video is incorrect for what you are trying to do.

If you follow my tutorial on youtube in the order given, it will work, its a tried and tested method.

1 - Place an image on slide:

Insert > Choose

2 - Mask the image:

format > image > edit mask

3 - Resize and position the image

4 - Convert the image to a placeholder:

Format > Advanced > Define as Media Placeholder

5 - Add the new image on to the placeholder:

Insert > Choose

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxqs819ti1pm1wq/ScreenFlow.mp4?dl=0

Replacing masked images in Keynote - that retains the same dimensions as the existing image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.