Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop not working on MacBook Pro (but IS working on iMac and iPhone)

Hi,

So my Macbook Pro's Airdrop is not working.

It's in the same room as my iMac (at the moment) and sometimes I need to transfer files from one device to the other.

When opening Airdrop on the MacBook Pro, nothing shows up.

When opening Airdrop on the iMac, the iPhone shows up.

When looking at options for transferring files from the iPhone only the iMac shows up.

I have switched Bluetooth off and on on the Macbook Pro, likewise wi-fi off and on, restarted etc. No luck.

Any ideas?

One thing to note: every time I open Airdrop on the Macbook Pro, it always appears to be reset to "Allow me to be discovered by: No One" despite me manually changing it to "Everyone" every time, like from one second to the next....it seems to switch back.

But even if I set it to Everyone and stay with it open, no other devices appear, unfortunately.

Any insight most welcome.

Thanks

Gordon

I'm on OSX Mojave 10.4.6

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 8:13 AM

gkmach1ne wrote:

Hi,
It's in the same room as my iMac (at the moment) and sometimes I need to transfer files from one device to the other.
When looking at options for transferring files from the iPhone only the iMac shows up.
I have switched Bluetooth off and on on the Macbook Pro, likewise wi-fi off and on, restarted etc. No luck.
Any ideas?
One thing to note: every time I open Airdrop on the Macbook Pro, it always appears to be reset to "Allow me to be discovered by: No One" despite me manually changing it to "Everyone" every time, like from one second to the next....it seems to switch back.
But even if I set it to Everyone and stay with it open, no other devices appear, unfortunately.
Thanks
Gordon
I'm on OSX Mojave 10.4.6

If you can't see the other device in AirDrop

Make sure that your devices meet these requirements:

Both devices are within 30 feet (9 meters) of each other and have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.

Each Mac was introduced in 2012 or later (excluding the 2012 Mac Pro) and is using OS X Yosemite or later. To find out, choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.

Each iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is using iOS 7 or later, with Personal Hotspot turned off.

Make sure that your devices can receive AirDrop requests:

Choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder, then check the ”Allow me to be discovered by” setting in the AirDrop window. iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch have a similar setting. If set to receive from Contacts Only, both devices must be signed in to iCloud, and the email address or phone number associated with the sender's Apple ID must be in the Contacts app of the receiving device.

Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Security & Privacy. Click the Firewall tab, then click the lock and enter your administrator password when prompted. Click Firewall Options, then deselect “Block all incoming connections.”

Use AirDrop on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2020 8:13 AM in response to gkmach1ne

gkmach1ne wrote:

Hi,
Any ideas?
Thanks
Gordon
I'm on OSX Mojave 10.4.6

If you can't see the other device in AirDrop

Make sure that your devices meet these requirements:

Both devices are within 30 feet (9 meters) of each other and have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.

Each Mac was introduced in 2012 or later (excluding the 2012 Mac Pro) and is using OS X Yosemite or later. To find out, choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.

Each iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is using iOS 7 or later, with Personal Hotspot turned off.

Make sure that your devices can receive AirDrop requests:

Choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder, then check the ”Allow me to be discovered by” setting in the AirDrop window. iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch have a similar setting. If set to receive from Contacts Only, both devices must be signed in to iCloud, and the email address or phone number associated with the sender's Apple ID must be in the Contacts app of the receiving device.

Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Security & Privacy. Click the Firewall tab, then click the lock and enter your administrator password when prompted. Click Firewall Options, then deselect “Block all incoming connections.”

Use AirDrop on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 7, 2020 8:34 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi leroydouglas,

Thank for the input. I'm guessing this is an automated response rather than addressing this particular issue.

Either way, perhaps I could have been clearer. So just to fill in the blanks and confirm that:

All three devices are within 4m of one another.

Both Macs are 2012 or later. The iPhone 2020.

Hotspot on iOS irrelevant (the problem is with the Macbok Pro), not the iPhone.

As said in original post: the "Allow me to be discovered by" function reverts to 'No One' by itself but even if I change it to "Everyone" nothing shows up.

Finally, in Security & Privacy -> Firewall, the box "Block all incoming connections" is NOT checked. I.e. all apps are green to go and "Allow incoming connections".

In other words, I have made no changes since my original post.

The problem, therefore, is still there.

Cheers

Gordon

Jul 7, 2020 8:38 AM in response to gkmach1ne

gkmach1ne wrote:

Hi leroydouglas,
Thank for the input. I'm guessing this is an automated response rather than addressing this particular issue.
Either way, perhaps I could have been clearer. So just to fill in the blanks and confirm that:
All three devices are within 4m of one another.
Both Macs are 2012 or later. The iPhone 2020.
Hotspot on iOS irrelevant (the problem is with the Macbok Pro), not the iPhone.
As said in original post: the "Allow me to be discovered by" function reverts to 'No One' by itself but even if I change it to "Everyone" nothing shows up.
Finally, in Security & Privacy -> Firewall, the box "Block all incoming connections" is NOT checked. I.e. all apps are green to go and "Allow incoming connections".
In other words, I have made no changes since my original post.
The problem, therefore, is still there.
Cheers
Gordon

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753) 

Airdrop not working on MacBook Pro (but IS working on iMac and iPhone)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.