Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW portrait photos rotate 90degrees anticlockwise when opened in Photo Library?

Why do RAW portrait photos rotate 90degrees anticlockwise when opened in Photo Library?

Thumbnail is correct. I

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 12:35 AM

That happens regularly for me, but only for a small number of old photos, say from 10-15 years ago that were taken with a specific camera (Sony Cybershot F-717). I assume that some metadata related to camera orientations was not stored properly in Photos or was altered due to a bug in Photos.

I see no way to avoid this from occurring, although it seems that if I remove the old edits and then re-edit the photo, including setting the orientation correctly, then the correct orientation is remembered correctly thereafter.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2020 12:35 AM in response to Therese1991

That happens regularly for me, but only for a small number of old photos, say from 10-15 years ago that were taken with a specific camera (Sony Cybershot F-717). I assume that some metadata related to camera orientations was not stored properly in Photos or was altered due to a bug in Photos.

I see no way to avoid this from occurring, although it seems that if I remove the old edits and then re-edit the photo, including setting the orientation correctly, then the correct orientation is remembered correctly thereafter.

Jul 8, 2020 2:39 AM in response to Therese1991

I am also seeing this for some old photos. I noticed, that all of them had been edited (tagged) in an external editor, before importing to Aperture or Photos.

When I open open the original image file of such an old photo in GraphicConverter, I am usually getting a warning about two conflicting orientation tags. This suggests, that the embedded thumbnail has been created using a different orientation tag from the orientation tag used by Photos.

Jul 9, 2020 1:44 PM in response to jeffreyEh

All photos I have are relatively new as I only started using the camera 5 months ago. The issue first started on the 7th of June. All photos in my library before this date are fine.

Another thing I noticed today is when I first import them to library there is no issue, but directly after they have been backed up to icloud the issue starts.

I tried your recommendation for correcting the orientation, if I try this a few times it seems to stick, thank you.

Hopefully Apple realises there is a bug so it can be fixed, it's very annoying at the moment.

RAW portrait photos rotate 90degrees anticlockwise when opened in Photo Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.