Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes wont open following update

I allowed iTunes to update to a newer version, then I could no longer open it. I believe my older Windows 8.1 is not compatible with the new iTunes update. So, I uninstalled iTunes and then downloaded an older iTunes version compatible with my windows. Installation of iTunes kept rolling back and would not complete. I used an Apple community answer to try and solve the problem. I removed several Program files related to Apple. Finally iTunes said it installed successfully, but now when I open it the error message is:

The file "itunes library itl"cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Pretty upsetting since I have uploaded hundreds of old CD's to my iTunes file and now I can't sync my phone either.

Any help out there?

Thanks

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 8:50 AM

Hi there derry216,

Thank you for choosing Apple Support Communities!

It sounds as though you're seeing a message regarding the iTunes Library.itl file cannot be read due to it being created on a newer version of iTunes. You're in the right place, and we'd be glad to assist in seeking a solution.

Below is a resource that can help:

iTunes- Download the latest version for Windows.

This resource can help with downloading the latest version of iTunes available for Windows 8.1.

If you're having trouble updating to the latest version, these resources below can help:

If you can't install or update iTunes for Windows

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

Have a great day!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 8:50 AM in response to derry216

Hi there derry216,

Thank you for choosing Apple Support Communities!

It sounds as though you're seeing a message regarding the iTunes Library.itl file cannot be read due to it being created on a newer version of iTunes. You're in the right place, and we'd be glad to assist in seeking a solution.

Below is a resource that can help:

iTunes- Download the latest version for Windows.

This resource can help with downloading the latest version of iTunes available for Windows 8.1.

If you're having trouble updating to the latest version, these resources below can help:

If you can't install or update iTunes for Windows

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

Have a great day!

Jul 12, 2020 1:59 PM in response to derry216

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery * advice should it be needed.

* The particular error message you see is likely the result of going back too many builds. See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community for possible workarounds, however it may be better to reinstall the current version, or the one just before it.

tt2

Jul 13, 2020 2:40 PM in response to derry216

derry216 wrote:

I uninstalled everything listed in the order given, then restarted my computer. Then I downloaded and installed the iTunes software for Windows 8.1. When I start iTunes (which said it installed successfully) I get the exact same error message I first posted about.

The particular error message you see is likely the result of going back too many builds. See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community for possible workarounds, however it may be better to reinstall the current version, or the one just before it.

As noted in the user tip occasionally this message is the result of a corrupt preference setting and Shift-starting-iTunes and selecting your active .itl file is the solution.

tt2

Jul 13, 2020 9:10 AM in response to Teddy_B

I accidentally checked this solved my problem, but it did not. I uninstalled everything listed in the order given, then restarted my computer. Then I downloaded and installed the iTunes software for Windows 8.1. When I start iTunes (which said it installed successfully) I get the exact same error message I first posted about.

iTunes wont open following update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.