Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM slot MacBook Pro 2012 issue

Hello, my questions is about a problem in the lower RAM slot from my MacBook Pro from 2012, it doesn't work anymore, and according your answers in comments this problem has not solution. May you solve my problem if I go to an Apple store? I'll be glad to have an answer. Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 10:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 10:21 PM

Hi,

Blower the dust and see if it still doesn't work.

If it doesn't help, you'd better make Genius Bar reservation or take your MacBook Pro to Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined it.

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

https://locate.apple.com/findlocations

2 replies

Jul 8, 2020 8:41 PM in response to wlasolo

The memory slot nearest the Bottom Case can fail due to cracked solder joints which break over time from pressure from the bottom case. The easiest & cheapest "fix" is to just install an 8GB memory module in the other working memory slot since a Logic Board replacement is very expensive. Just make sure to purchase the memory from Crucial or OWC since Macs are very picky about their memory. Make sure to use the tools on the Crucial or OWC web site to get the exact part number of the memory for your laptop (don't go just by the technical specifications).

If you actually mean the memory slot nearest the keyboard is bad, then you can still use just a single 8GB memory module in the good slot, but beware that the slot nearest the Bottom Case is much more likely to fail. I've only ever encountered two MBPros which had a bad memory slot nearest the keyboard.

Make sure to verify the slot is the problem and not just a bad memory module.

RAM slot MacBook Pro 2012 issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.