Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is the music app draining my battery

Even when not using the Music App, it appears to be draining my battery with background usage. I have tried disabling any usage of the app, and still, it drains my battery.

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 10:26 PM

I had the same problem and found the fix yesterday. Just go into Settings - Privacy - Location Services - System Settings and then toggle off Time Zone Setting and then back on. I went from complete battery drain to normal instantly. It also fixed my iPad which had the same issue. I did it at 3pm yesterday and you can see the result in the graph. Hope it works for you too as I was getting really frustrated!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2020 10:26 PM in response to B_Collins

I had the same problem and found the fix yesterday. Just go into Settings - Privacy - Location Services - System Settings and then toggle off Time Zone Setting and then back on. I went from complete battery drain to normal instantly. It also fixed my iPad which had the same issue. I did it at 3pm yesterday and you can see the result in the graph. Hope it works for you too as I was getting really frustrated!

Jul 8, 2020 10:40 AM in response to rnwv29

Just came off the phone to Apple support. Engineering suggested to make sure that automatic date and time was on. I remembered that in my privacy settings I had toggled off Setting Time Zone years ago. I logged out of the iTunes and app stores, toggled it back on, rebooted the phone, logged back into iTunes and turned sync on and now everything is downloading perfectly.

I’ll keep an eye on the background battery drain as that was a massive issue but it seems to have fixed it.

Since I’ve done this my phone is back to normal - no excessive background activity draining the battery.

Jul 8, 2020 8:48 PM in response to rnwv29

I have this problem too, and it seems to have started just recently after an iOS update. The kicker is that I paid for Apple to replace my battery a few months ago because I was getting this notification that my battery wasn’t performing well anymore.

I’m now often having to charge My device multiple times per day, even though my usage is the same. I rarely use the Music app but since the update it seems to be (suddenly) account for between 35% and sometimes as much as 70% of my battery usage.

I have also noticed my handset overheating – last week it was too hot to touch and I had to put it in the freezer to cool it down.

Per screenshot below, 54% of usage is Music app running in the background. (I don’t even use it). as you can see in the chart, battery charge falls off a cliff.

iPhone 7; new battery (Circa Feb 2020); iOS 13.5.1

why is the music app draining my battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.