Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to upgrade from Sierra to Catalina

My MacBook Air (2015) is on sierra and I am trying to upgrade to catalina. When I go to system preferences, there is no software update tab and when I download the catalina in the appstore nothing happens. Ive downloaded the software on the App Store a couple of times and nothing is happening. What do I do?

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 1:01 PM

Follow the procedures in How to upgrade to macOS Catalina.

Before You Upgrade macOS

1. Fix any problems before upgrading.
  2. Run First Aid in Disk Utility while booted from your Recovery HD.
  3. Backup. Make a bootable clone using CarbonCopy Cloner or use TimeMachine.
  4. Be sure your startup disk has 18-20GB of free space during the installation.
  5. Upgrade third-party software for compatibility. See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps. If you have mission critical software, then DO NOT upgrade until you know that software is compatible with the version of macOS you are about to install.
  6. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  7. Download the installer which will be in the Applications folder. Quit the installer after it opens, then make a copy of the installer and save it in the Downloads folder. The one in the Applications folder will be deleted after a successful installation.
  8. The download is large, anywhere between 5 and 9GBs. It takes time to complete. Be patient.
  9. Double-click on the installer in the Applications folder. Click on the start button to begin the installation.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2020 1:01 PM in response to aidan413

Follow the procedures in How to upgrade to macOS Catalina.

Before You Upgrade macOS

1. Fix any problems before upgrading.
  2. Run First Aid in Disk Utility while booted from your Recovery HD.
  3. Backup. Make a bootable clone using CarbonCopy Cloner or use TimeMachine.
  4. Be sure your startup disk has 18-20GB of free space during the installation.
  5. Upgrade third-party software for compatibility. See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps. If you have mission critical software, then DO NOT upgrade until you know that software is compatible with the version of macOS you are about to install.
  6. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  7. Download the installer which will be in the Applications folder. Quit the installer after it opens, then make a copy of the installer and save it in the Downloads folder. The one in the Applications folder will be deleted after a successful installation.
  8. The download is large, anywhere between 5 and 9GBs. It takes time to complete. Be patient.
  9. Double-click on the installer in the Applications folder. Click on the start button to begin the installation.

Trying to upgrade from Sierra to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.