Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Driving 5k monitor with Catalina

I have a 2018 13” MacBook Pro and just bought a 49 inch monitor (LG 49WL95C-W).

for some reason my MacBook does not seem able to display in 5120 x 1440 format. Neither switchResX nor disableMonitor seem to fix the problem. When I plug in the LG monitor the 5120x1440 format just does not appear.

a friend with a 15” MBP running Mojave managed to drive this display and resolution with no problem.

could anyone help? Thanks.

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 6:50 AM

Also see: Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 8, 2020 2:21 PM in response to Bucht

Your 13 inch MBP supports an external display at up to 5120x2880, same as a newer 15 in MBP. The latter uses a discrete GPU (probably Radeon) that may support different display scaling than the Intel integrated GPU in your Mac.

You might want to investigate the Displays preference for Scaled resolutions instead of Default for Display setting.

Jul 8, 2020 11:47 PM in response to VikingOSX

thanks for the idea. I had tried that but it only offers "larger text" to "more space" which changes the size of the font to more readable but does not change the number of display pixels driven..

What I don't understand is that nowhere on either the standard Mac display settings or those of the Switch RX or Disable monitor settings do they propose a resolution of 5120 x 1440. It's as if the Mac was not "reading" the display capabilities of that particular display correctly...

Jul 9, 2020 1:42 AM in response to Bucht

Bucht wrote:

What I don't understand is that nowhere on either the standard Mac display settings or those of the Switch RX or Disable monitor settings do they propose a resolution of 5120 x 1440. It's as if the Mac was not "reading" the display capabilities of that particular display correctly...

FWIW, what VikingOSX was trying to explain, your 13" MBP has an Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 GPU and your friend's 15" MBP has both a Intel UHD Graphics 630 and AMD Radeon Pro 555X, 560X, Vega 16, or Vega 20. Your friend's graphics can support 5120 x 1440, yours can't. It has nothing to do with "reading" the monitor.

Driving 5k monitor with Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.