Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine gives me pixelated screen on my iMac

It has always been my practice to not have any backup drives mounted. I mount them when I want to do a TimeMachine backup.

What I find now is that when I have a backup drive mounted I have the problem that my iMac periodically wakes up and displays what should be the Catalina desktop image but is so pixelated that you could hardly recognize it. Then it doesn't usually go back to sleep.

If I have no backup drive mounted, even if I have deleted all backup drives from TimeMachine and "backup automatically" is not checked, I still get the problem.

So this is a new condition. Perhaps related to the latest OS release? Something that Apple would want to know about? Or maybe it's somehow specific to me. It's only on my iMac, not my powerbook.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 1:10 PM

Hello Loran Kary and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

You appear to be having an issue involving a backup drive.

Your best option will be to start by isolating this to either the drive or software.

1) Start by doing a safe boot of the Mac. This will clear some cache files, turn off some system extensions and log-in items and give you a good foundation. After doing the safe boot, reboot normally and test.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

2) If the issue persists after a safe boot, set up a test user account in order to isolate the issue to the system or the user data and ultimately resolve it. 

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

If the issue is present in a fresh test user account, then the issue would appear to be isolated to the drive you're using. If it does not, then this may be related to user data.

Cheers.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2020 1:10 PM in response to Loran Kary

Hello Loran Kary and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

You appear to be having an issue involving a backup drive.

Your best option will be to start by isolating this to either the drive or software.

1) Start by doing a safe boot of the Mac. This will clear some cache files, turn off some system extensions and log-in items and give you a good foundation. After doing the safe boot, reboot normally and test.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

2) If the issue persists after a safe boot, set up a test user account in order to isolate the issue to the system or the user data and ultimately resolve it. 

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

If the issue is present in a fresh test user account, then the issue would appear to be isolated to the drive you're using. If it does not, then this may be related to user data.

Cheers.

Jul 20, 2020 2:25 PM in response to Loran Kary

Hi Loran Kary.

Very glad to hear that booting to safe mode seems to have resolved the issue.

In terms of what safe mode actually does, to quote the official Apple resource:

"Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed."

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Have a super groovy rest of your day.

Cheers.

TimeMachine gives me pixelated screen on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.