Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility Error Invalid fsroot and apfs_num_other_fsobejcts

Running Disk Utility FIrst Aid on the Macintosh Hd Volume has following error :-

warning: apfs_num_other_fsobjects (60) is not valid (62)

The whole Detail as appeared in mac is as follows:-

Running First Aid on “Macintosh HD” (disk1s1) NOTE: First Aid will temporarily lock the startup volume. Verifying file system. Volume could not be unmounted. Using live mode. Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1 Checking the container superblock. Checking the EFI jumpstart record. Checking the space manager. Checking the space manager free queue trees. Checking the object map. Checking volume. Checking the APFS volume superblock. The volume Macintosh HD was formatted by hfs_convert (748.31.8) and last modified by apfs_kext (945.275.7). Checking the object map. Checking the snapshot metadata tree. Checking the snapshot metadata. Checking the extent ref tree. Checking the fsroot tree. warning: apfs_num_other_fsobjects (60) is not valid (62) Verifying allocated space. The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 appears to be OK. File system check exit code is 0. Restoring the original state found as mounted. Operation successful.

i had searched internet but i can’t find any solution to this error.

Also i had done 1 step before coming to this as i was getting error :fsroot tree is invalid

Following is the message which appeared on running first aid:-

NOTE: First Aid will temporarily lock the startup volume.

Verifying file system.

Volume could not be unmounted.

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

Checking the space manager.

Checking the space manager free queue trees.

Checking the object map.

Checking volume.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

The volume Macintosh HD was formatted by hfs_convert (748.31.8) and last modified by apfs_kext (945.275.7).

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the snapshot metadata.

Checking the extent ref tree.

Checking the fsroot tree.

error: btn: invalid btn_btree.bt_key_count (expected 2000421, actual 2000470)

fsroot tree is invalid.

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

So in order to solve i had first of all Boooted in Recovery Mode and then Run first aid on Mac HD Volume.

After that the error was removed.

And when i came back to normal boot and run first aid i got the error (as mentioned above) : apfs_num .

So i went on to try my best be searching on web but i could not find anything else. And then i tried 2nd thing from Single User mode. (CMD S on boot) .

1. Start up Mac in single-user mode by restarting then press and hold Command + S.
  2. Type /sbin/fsck -fy into the command line and press Enter. This will initiate a file system check. You will see the same error, however in this case the repair will continue and fix the issue.
  3. Type reboot and press Enter.
  4. Login as normal and run First Aid on Disk and the error should be gone.

Still this did not solve the APFS error. :-

warning: apfs_num_other_fsobjects (60) is not valid (62) .

All. the methods i used , i found on apple disscussion . FOllowing is the link to the Thread:-

1)https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8564919

2)https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8564919?answerId=34084121022#34084121022

3).https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8564919?answerId=250148557022#250148557022

Also that i have tried Stellar Recovery software and i found that because of these errors, recovering files from macbook is not possible. I am Using Mojave 10.14.6 as of now. The Stellar website suggests to go for complete reformatting Macintosh HD which by the way means to reformat my mac.

Here is the link to Stellar's Post:-

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/fix-apfs-fsroot-tree-is-invalid-error-on-macos-mojave/#:~:text=What%20exactly%20is%20the%20%E2%80%9Cfsroot,user%2Dcreated%20directories%20as%20subdirectories.

Please find a solution as because of this i can not recovery my files through any recovery software as APFS is problematic.

Also that i don’t think reformating is an option i can go for as i being. a music producer i have got VSTs (music softwares )on my mac and this would mean long hours of backup and then reinstallation on formatted mac. It is highly unproductive to reformat . Please find a a proper solution for APFS Drives.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 10:38 AM

Go back through the First Aid report. If the errors are reported about snapshots, then they can be ignored. However, if the errors are reported on the main volumes, then it's a problem. If the result code is 0, then there is no issue of concern. This is the extent of my understanding about these errors on an APFS formatted drive.

Leroydouglas is correct in stating that Disk Utility may report a problem in error. Here's a related article: Should you trust Disk Utility’s First Aid or fsck? – The Eclectic Light Company. And, here is Apple's latest: How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2020 10:38 AM in response to vbabbar

Go back through the First Aid report. If the errors are reported about snapshots, then they can be ignored. However, if the errors are reported on the main volumes, then it's a problem. If the result code is 0, then there is no issue of concern. This is the extent of my understanding about these errors on an APFS formatted drive.

Leroydouglas is correct in stating that Disk Utility may report a problem in error. Here's a related article: Should you trust Disk Utility’s First Aid or fsck? – The Eclectic Light Company. And, here is Apple's latest: How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility.

Jul 8, 2020 8:28 PM in response to vbabbar

The solution is easy. Backup your files, reformat the drive and reinstall macOS.

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible, back up your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size info) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  6. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  7. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  8. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  9. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Jul 11, 2020 2:10 AM in response to Kappy

Thank you for your guidance Kappy. I don't want to reformat my mac drive because of all the software (VSTs) i have installed. Reinstalling all the programs back in my macbook will be a hard for me and time wasting also.

If you can please find a method to correct this or repair APFS drive without reformatting, it would me more helpful.

I really appreciate your response to my query.

Also I had read a similar guide on stellar recovery website as i had mentioned before. But i don't think thats a solution. I HOPE APPLE WOULD TAKE MY CONCERN FOR PRESERVING MY SOFTWARES IN WHICH I DON'T HAVE TO REFORMAR MY MAC.

Jul 11, 2020 5:47 AM in response to vbabbar

vbabbar wrote:

Thank you for your guidance Kappy. I don't want to reformat my mac drive because of all the software (VSTs) i have installed. Reinstalling all the programs back in my macbook will be a hard for me and time wasting also.

If you can please find a method to correct this or repair APFS drive without reformatting, it would me more helpful.

I really appreciate your response to my query.
Also I had read a similar guide on stellar recovery website as i had mentioned before. But i don't think thats a solution. I HOPE APPLE WOULD TAKE MY CONCERN FOR PRESERVING MY SOFTWARES IN WHICH I DON'T HAVE TO REFORMAR MY MAC.

Running Disk Utility FIrst Aid on the Macintosh Hd Volume has following e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶ :-
warning: apfs_num_other_fsobjects (60) is not valid (62)

<File system check exit code is 0.>

If you are not having issues I would simply ignore this warning.

Bugs in DiskUtility are known issue.

Disk Utility Error Invalid fsroot and apfs_num_other_fsobejcts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.