Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch isn’t tracking my actual time exercising. It did before but in the last week it’s not accurate. I walked 4 miles in one hour but it gave me only 27 minutes of exercise. I reset both my watch and my phone and that didn’t help.

why Won’t my Apple Watch track my actual minutes exercised?

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 6

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 9:04 PM

When you go for your walks, do you put the watch into 'Outdoor Walk' workout? If not, you should be. Without being in workout mode I believe the watch will only give you credit if your activity meets some heart rate requirement. I've struggled with this for years even when in the workout mode. I believe Apple's algorithm requires a heart rate reading, so if the watch isn't fitting quite right and failing to read your heart rate, that could do it. Many times when I'm trying to close my circles at the end of the day and I don't want to deal with what I'd call flawed logic, I just put the watch in 'Other' workout mode. Then you are supposed to get credit for a brisk walk and it seems to care less about the heart rate reading.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2020 9:04 PM in response to StephO327

When you go for your walks, do you put the watch into 'Outdoor Walk' workout? If not, you should be. Without being in workout mode I believe the watch will only give you credit if your activity meets some heart rate requirement. I've struggled with this for years even when in the workout mode. I believe Apple's algorithm requires a heart rate reading, so if the watch isn't fitting quite right and failing to read your heart rate, that could do it. Many times when I'm trying to close my circles at the end of the day and I don't want to deal with what I'd call flawed logic, I just put the watch in 'Other' workout mode. Then you are supposed to get credit for a brisk walk and it seems to care less about the heart rate reading.

My Apple Watch isn’t tracking my actual time exercising. It did before but in the last week it’s not accurate. I walked 4 miles in one hour but it gave me only 27 minutes of exercise. I reset both my watch and my phone and that didn’t help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.