Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start Up disk is full

How do I know which files I can delete to make space on my start up disk? I've watched a bunch of youtube videos but I am not a computer person and am very fearful of deleting needed files.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 4:04 PM

Start by making sure the Trash is empty.

Then look in the Downloads folder for things to delete.

If you have a lot of videos, pictures, or music, then you may want to store the videos on an external drive.

Do you sync your iPhone or iPads to your computer? If so, then those backups will take up significant space on the drive.

Any files you have stored in your User folder are files you acquired or created so you can do with them as you wish. If you have more than one user account, then the other user accounts may be taking up significant storage space so check them as well.

I highly recommend you have a good verified working backup before deleting anything just in case you accidentally delete something important.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2020 4:04 PM in response to razzy1215

Start by making sure the Trash is empty.

Then look in the Downloads folder for things to delete.

If you have a lot of videos, pictures, or music, then you may want to store the videos on an external drive.

Do you sync your iPhone or iPads to your computer? If so, then those backups will take up significant space on the drive.

Any files you have stored in your User folder are files you acquired or created so you can do with them as you wish. If you have more than one user account, then the other user accounts may be taking up significant storage space so check them as well.

I highly recommend you have a good verified working backup before deleting anything just in case you accidentally delete something important.

Start Up disk is full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.