Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help transferring files from my old iMac (mid 2011) to my brand new iMac (2020)

What cables do I need? My old computer will not start. The video display is gone. I can start in target disk mode. Cables are expensive. What do I need. My old iMac (2011) has a thunderbolt port, but it mentions no version. It also has the following ports: firewire 800, USB 2.0. what cables should I buy to move my files from old to new? The new iMac has Thunderbolt 3, usb-c, thunderbolt 2 and firewire.

Thanks for any help I can get?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2020 2:12 PM in response to Camperted

Migrating is incredibly simple. The fastest and most reliable method is to connect the old iMac Time Machine external HD to the new computer using a USB cable. If you have not turned on the new computer for the first time, this is the easiest method. When you turn on the computer the first time it will launch Setup Assistant (SA). SA will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another Mac, select Yes and follow the on-screen prompts.

If you have already turned on the new computer and completed SA. Then connect the old computer TM EHD and launch Migration Assistant (Application -Utilities - Migration Assistant) and follow the on-screen prompts.

NEVER use wi-fi and I strongly recommend against using an Ethernet cable. Using the old computer's Time Machine drive is tried, true and it just works.

Jul 10, 2020 7:57 AM in response to Camperted

You connect the old Mac's Time Machine external HD to the new computer using a USB cable and run Migration Assistant. If you backed up the old computer using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! either of those will work too.

If you don't back up, that is BAD and certain guarantee of lost data. At the very least you should be using Time Machine.

Need help transferring files from my old iMac (mid 2011) to my brand new iMac (2020)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.