Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting a Migrated iPhoto Library

I am trying to manage the storage of my Mac Book Pro. I am unable to do the latest update and need to make space on my computer. When managing storage, there is a large file of 36GB that takes up most of my Document Storage. The files name: iPhoto Library, Kind: Migrated Photo Library, and it was Last Accessed: 2015-12-20. If I delete it, will I lose all the photos? I am not sure what this file. I have a 250GB hard drive that is pretty much full. If I don't delete it, is it possible for me to add more storage to my Mac Book Pro. The easy fix to gain storage is to delete the large Migrated iPhoto Library file but I don't want it to be at the cost of losing precious photos. Please advise. :)

Mac Pro

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 9:24 PM

In theory, all of the photos and videos in that iPhoto library were migrated to a Photos library that is sharing the same storage space for the actual photos; only the auxiliary stuff like indexes and thumbnails are separate.

If you have verified that all of the photos and videos you want are in fact in your Photos library, you can delete the iPhoto library. Just don't expect to get back anywhere near 36GB, because much of that storage is also used for the Photos library. (The technical details are a little esoteric. Somebody can fill you in if you want to know.)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2020 9:24 PM in response to Princepeza

In theory, all of the photos and videos in that iPhoto library were migrated to a Photos library that is sharing the same storage space for the actual photos; only the auxiliary stuff like indexes and thumbnails are separate.

If you have verified that all of the photos and videos you want are in fact in your Photos library, you can delete the iPhoto library. Just don't expect to get back anywhere near 36GB, because much of that storage is also used for the Photos library. (The technical details are a little esoteric. Somebody can fill you in if you want to know.)

Deleting a Migrated iPhoto Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.